the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dei 508t field disturbance sensor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monty862 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering if someone can tell me if the red and green lights are suppose to be coming on inside the 508T when the alarm is not armed. The directions that come with the sensor state that it should be hooked up to ground when armed, if you wire to wire.  I'm using the MUX connection instead, and I notice the lights are flashing even though the alarm isn't armed. Thanks

monty862 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I meant 508D
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
if you have constant power and are using something other than ground when armed on the black wire then you will see the lights come on when the alarm is not armed.
monty862 
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I guess what I should have said is, is it normal and acceptable for the lights to flash while the alarm is not armed. Unless it is defective, I'm assuming this is normal since DEI makes the 5901 and the 508D and it is a direct plug in to the MUX port.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
yes. if there is a regular ground used instead of ground when armed the sensor is always on and the lights will come on when any motion is within range. that is totally normal. I always cut the black wire in the harness and connect it to the orange ground when armed. doing so puts 12volts to the black wire when it isnt armed therefore shutting the sensor off. it wouldnt hurt anything to leave it as is though.
monty862 
Posted: March 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I might do that.  I read where it doesn't draw much power,  but sometimes we don't drive this car for several days at a time.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged  
Do what you think is best, neither way will harm anything unless as you say the vehicle isn't driven for MORE than a week.
Just a thought, how badly has it been mounted that you can see it?
monty862 
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Oh Howie, always expecting the worse. Actually, I located what I think is the perfect location. On this cars center console, in the storage bin, there is a removable bottom liner. It makes it easier to keep clean I suppose. When you remove the liner, low and behold  there is a rectangular cut out in the bottom of the storage bin. You are looking right down at the floorboard. I removed the console and mounted it directly under the cut out. It is pretty close to dead center of the car. Now all I have to do is lift out the liner if i need to adjust the sensitivity or check the pretty lights. But don't worry, I'll ask some more dumb questions soon. dei 508t field disturbance sensor -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
WRONG! Now you have to be very careful about any coins, keys or other metallic objects left in there. They will ALL adversely affect it's workings plus of course the metal seat frames. The first choice is always the roof if possible.
monty862 
Posted: March 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
I'd never heard of mounting it in the headliner before. Turned upside down I presume? This car has an electric sunroof so I think it is probably not feasible in this install. Seems to work OK where it is, but I'll watch the metallic objects. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic