icon

what is it called, alpine piece

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boghog1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hi folks, new user here. I used to install car audio/alarm/remote starters years ago (90's) anyway we used to carry a "crossover" for lack of the proper term. it was made by alpine IIRC it would take the two high level output from an amp and convert it to a left, right and sub output. this way you could use a single two channel amp for a simple install. I am looking for something similar but can seem to find it using google. any help in what the proper term is?
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like something called "Line Out Converter"
Most commonly used with factory radios that have no RCA output.
Line Out Converters or LOC for short convert the "amplified" signal to a low voltage output that can be used to connect to the RCAs to the amp.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Most amps now have this ability built in. It is called simultaneous stereo bridged mono. What you will need to do is create your own PASSIVE crossover using caps and coils. If you know the impedence of the speakers in question and you know the slope of the crossover you want to create, then you can build your own crossover. This has nothing to do with a LOC.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boghog1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Forbidden. I don't know if the amp is able to be run bridged stereo it is a garrard 1502. I am having a hard time finding any information on the amp. my kids complained my car stereo isn't loud enough so I figured I would dig theough my old equipment and set up a little sound system in my truck . oh and no I am not talking about a line output converter.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
boghog1, about 15 years or so ago a number of manufacturers sold passive crossovers that would work with any "tri-mode" amplifier. Each had a left and right input and outputs for left, right and sub. I would imaging many still do. Google "tri-mode passive crossover".
what is it called, alpine piece -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic