First Time I Am Wiring A Cap.. Need Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DrMrDude 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey

This is my first time wiring up a cap to my JL 1000w Mono Amp... I Have everything set up like the directions said but would like to know if I can run my Ground wire straight from the cap to the Amp or if i have to run the amp to the chassis and the cap to the chassis in the same or differnt spot.... any help would be great... thanks

Justin

Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

You need to run seperate grounds for both your cap and your amp.  Remember to try and make both of them 18 inches or less.  It is a good idea to ground both in the same location to prevent ground loops.  Any more questions feel free to ask.

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
you can run youur ground from the amp to the cap then to ground with no problem
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

The way I usually do it is to give each component their own ground cable, but then ground then both at the same point on the chassis.  This helps avoid ground loops.

I suppose you could also run it to the cap's negative terminal, but then the cap and the amp would just essentially be using the same ground wire so you'd want to compensate for that with (possibly) a larger gauge ground wire.

Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, To install a cap do it this way Select a good spot, no more than 18" from the amplifier on the + power wire. Cut the power wire on the amp at the location where the cap is to go, and connect the wire to the positive terminal. If you are using ring terminals, install the first one flat on the base of the terminal. Then, run the second half of the spliced power wire from the same positive terminal (set the second ring right on top of the first one) and run it to the fuse block. The cap should be grounded close by, preferably in the same spot the amp is grounded. Using the same gauge wire, run the ground cable to the negative terminal.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic