icon

single cvr 10 wedge box design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jschatz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to design a custom style wedge box to go in my 01 dodge ram 1500 single cab. I want to be able to keep the seat all the way back and would like to be able to continue to run my mono 6x9 in the rear. The sub I have that I would like to use a 07CVR 10 with 4ohm DVCs. This is what I have so far without performing any form of calculations.
single cvr 10 wedge box design - Last Post -- posted image.
The internal volume including what is taken up by the sub itself is 1.493. I was going to port the box out the top of the large flat face. I am clueless when it comes to using the T/S parameters when designing a box and was hoping to get some in put from the experts. If i need to add volume to the box instead of having the large flat area i could mirror the wedge onto that side. The 6x9 is in its own sealed chamber. I am also not against having a sealed box if this would fit my size restraints better.
Thanks
Ray
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Your volume looks good to fit the parameters of a vented box in the CVR10. You need to figure out where you want the box tuned at (most likely in the 30-35 Hz range). Then calculate the port size and length to get the box tuned at that frequency for your air space.
Use the port length calculator on this site here:
Port Calculator
For example:
To tune your box to 32 Hz, you could use a 2" diameter port tube that is 4.1" long.
jschatz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Is a round port preferred to a slotted port. I was planning to do a slot up the end and out the top. Still playing with it though, i.e. adding volume to make up for the lost volume in the port and to add some bracing, at least in the tall corners and a couple along the bottom edge.
Thanks for your input.
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Some people have personal preferences for one or the other. Both can work well as long as they are setup correctly. Get your volumes calculated right and port sizes correct, you should be pleased either way.
jschatz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for your input. I decide to port out the side instead of the top to save on having to do an L-Port. Here is what I decided on.
single cvr 10 wedge box design - Last Post -- posted image.
Now I just have to go hit up some friend(s) and see if I can use their table saw and router to get everything cut out. I wish I new someone who could do it for me but I guess that takes all of the fun out of it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

1.  Make sure you have at least a few inches of open air on the outside of that port opening.  You'll need the airspace for proper port function.

2.  Double check your calculations in figuring net airspace.  A wedge box that comes to such a severe angle can be tricky to figure;  outside dimensions don't tell the story accurately. (This is one where I might consider using the beans or packing peanuts to find volume).  And keep in mind to subtract the port (and all its parts) from the internal airspace.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
If I were you, I'd spare every last inch of airspace back there. The 6x9 is shooting you in the foot as far as the loudest, lowest bass sound. If the 6x9 is playing a true mono signal, then "to each his own"- i like it. As far as the box, large sealed enclosures sound decent with the CVR. Porting in that truck can potentially sound louder in the cab. Flip a coin~
This is what I do for FUN!
jschatz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
There should be 2-3 inches between the port exit and the side of my truck. The volume should be pretty accurate because I modeled the box in SolidWorks. The volume should work out with 50 thousandths.
I am not going for super loud, if I was I would use the dual 2ohm dvc cvrs I have or would use my 12s. The 6x9's single is a sum of the rear single before it hits my 4 channel amp. The only reason I used it is it was one of the 6x9s out of my doors, and I had no rears. I really dont like rear pillar speakers in single cab trucks. I may swap out the 6x9 for a semi-decent 6.5 or 5.23, havent decided yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic