icon

problem w/ new ovehead monitor 09 tundra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobbyd1120 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I recently installed a Valor RM-1100WS overhead monitor into a 2009 Toyota Tundra Double-cab. Originally I hooked up the 3 wires (12V constant red, dome light - blue, ground - black) all up to the factory overhead light console. However the monitor was not automatically turning off w/ the truck. Then when I went out of town for about 4 days I came back home and the battery was completely dead.
So I rewired it so that the 12V constant is hooked up to the power on the cig. lighter to provide remote power and the blue door wire and ground are tapped into the factory overhead light connection. I checked voltage on the factory light connection and am pretty sure I have the blue hooked up the wire that draws power when the light is turned on and the correct ground wire.
Now the monitor turns off w/ the truck, but I have an issue where now none of the interior lights will come on. Not on door switch or manually. Also the clock in the dash keeps losing its settings.
Any ideas or input is GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Bobby - Jax FL
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
First off I wouldn't use the ground on the factory light harness I would run a new one, the overhead unit probably only needs switched power it will tell you in the install manual but it seems you got that figured out. It sounds like you have a blown fuse, check your fuses with a DDM!
**advanced mecp certified
bobbyd1120 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
the issue with the lights was related to a blown fuse. Thanks!
Now I have a question about the wiring of the monitor. I will ensure I run a new ground wire. Where should I pull the main power cable from? This should be connected to a remote/ignition line correct that only supplies power when the vehicle is on correct? As the monitor includes lights and replaced the factory overhead light console shouldn't the blue wire be hooked up? If so, to which wire in the factory light plug? The one that receives power when the interior lights are on?
Thanks!
Bobby - Jax FL
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

I like to get DVD power from the 12volt power outlets on Lexus/Toyota as they are 15amp fused and turns on with accessory.

Your light wire on your DVD should connect to the pink wire on the 3 pin plug from the factory light. You can use the WHITE/ black in that same plug for the ground if you wish, or you can ground it to the metal beam in the roof.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic