icon

sub enclosure difficulty

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
§ealed-fate 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
I am running 2 Kicker COMP CVR 15's 2ohm DVC's ... Says Peak power is 1000watts/800RMS watts on the bottom of the magnet, in a 91 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. I am thinking this enclosure needs to be a ported box, the car has got a decent size trunk in it. I am currently using a sealed box my friend found in a dumpster, (lol) and I am looking to make a new box, or rather have my dad do it for me. This box seems good enough really untill it hits that certain note and it will sound like crap, so I am looking for a change.
I told my dad that certain boxes are tuned for certain speakers and there's different measurements for different enclosures, this is what I have gathered by reading and understanding however I could have misunderstood everything.
If anyone has a ported box for these speakers, and could share the dimensions with me I would appreciate it and would also as well make it easy for me. I've looked and I cannot find any dimensions for a box for these speakers anywhere. I have found stuff like Qms etc. but do not understand and Have tried to understand for a while now.
So yeah I am looking to build a ported box but have no clue where to begin because I do want it to be perfect and match my speakers. I am no carpenter, dad is though and if I was to be able to tell him dimensions then that's all I need, will be sure that he could just throw it together. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
§ealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Also if what amp I am using needs to be known, I am pushing these 2 15's on a 1600 watt Lanzar Max PRO ST MXA 242, which I am also having a problem with. It is stable at 2 ohms, said it gets 650 RMS bridged at 2 ohms, but it obviously doesn't like 2 ohm loads. Can't turn bass boost on or hardly mess with the gain without it blowing the amp fuse. Manual is lying to me I believe lol.
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

§ealed-fate wrote:
So yeah I am looking to build a ported box but have no clue where to begin because I do want it to be perfect and match my speakers.

Have you read the sub enclosure pages on this site? They cover all your concerns.

There are even calculators to assist you, but you need to get some information about the speaker besides "its big and weighs a lot"

Those specs will determine the optimal enclosure volume for ported or sealed boxes, the length and size of the port tube etc.

Please take some time to investigate these guides and gather the specs on your particular speakers.

§ealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
I've tried but it's just all gibberish to me. I think another problem is, I can't find any specs on my woofers anywhere. I find some stuff most likely needed to determine how to build a box for the Kicker CVR 15's, but when I continue reading them its saying this speaker is only 500 watts, which it's not. So I feel as if I am reading directions to another woofer and afraid that's going to throw me off. I've read something about a WinISD program to enter in the QMS, QES, QTS values, but like I said I am not sure if I am entering the right values that go for my sub. This is only thing I have found that's even close to being my subs:
Model:
05CVR152
Nominal Impedance:
SPL dB 1W/1M:
Displacement, cc:
Displacement, cu.in.:
Hole cutout, in dia:
13 7/8
Mounting Depth, in.:
8 1/8
Revc:
VC Inductance, mH:
Sd, SqM:
BL:
Vas, Liters:
Vas, CuFt:
Mms, gms:
Fs:
Qms:
Qes:
Qts:
Pmax, watts:
EXmax, mm:
-----------
I don't think I am looking at the right speaker. Totally clueless.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

You can't bridge your amp with two 2 ohm DVC subs you need to run it in stereo.

I'm assuming right now you have each coil wired in series giving you (2) 4 ohm subs that are then wired in parallel giving you a 2 ohm load.  When you bridge the amp the load is cut in half yet again giving you a 1 ohm load which your amp can't handle.

Junk the amp and get something more reputable that is 1 ohm stable and your problem should go away.

Kevin Pierson
§ealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I see hehe, that makes sense. And yeah that is exactly how I have my subs. Coils in series and parallel to amp. Sounds so good like that too, :( it's ashame to have to change them lol.
OK back to topic ;p would really like to understand all these values I've posted above.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
§ealed-fate wrote:
OK back to topic ;p would really like to understand all these values I've posted above.
Yaaa, I use XMAX, PMAX, Nom Imp and maybe mounting depth. After that the sub will be pushed until it fails or proves worthy of exceeding expectation and earning recognition.
This is what I do for FUN!
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
Everything you need to know about an enclosure for a CVR can be found right here. http://kicker.com/sites/default/files/CompVRTechManual.pdf
This will show you small, med and large recommendation enclosures, both sealed and ported and the projected frequency response for each enclosure. Even has spec enclosure sizes to be able to copy in small-large recommended sizes.
sub enclosure difficulty -- posted image.
spldesigns 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2010 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

those subs are only 500 watts, ive installed dozens of those same subs, look a little closer, maybe the 8 you see is really a 5, but yeah 1000max/500rms, for sure, 500 rms is half of 1000, and its usually half of max on most subs, but i usually give those subs about 1.5 cubic ft of air space for a slot port box, maybe 1.75 if you mostly listen to rap, better bottom octave with 1.75, then make your dimensions whatever for your trunk to equal 1.5-1.75, thats each sub, 3-3.5 for two subs, then go to the port length calculator to plug in dimensions, air space, what frequency you want to tune to, id use a freq. around 27hz if you listen to rap, maybe 45-50 if you listen to rock, and you will be all good

email me at innovativespldesigns@comcast.net if you need any assistance

spldesigns 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2010 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
by the way i wouldnt go any smaller of a box than i explained, those subs love extra large enclosures, i usually do installs when people still want to use their trunks, if you have the space i would go with a larger box, all the way up to 3-4 cubic feet air space with each sub for maximum sound quality, you loose a little thump going bigger, but it sooooooo gives you that maximum excursion all the way down where you feel it and see it, but you cant hear it, their great subs for the price, but like i said if your not going to competitions and like that banging thump go with a smaller sized box
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic