icon

remote start, 2006 f-150 crew cab

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stryped 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

I have an Astra remote start I installed on my 1996 Silverado. It is the two way type. I installed it myself about 5 years ago and it has good range and has worked flawlessly. It even controls my door locks.

I am going to sell the truck because I am buying a 2006 f-150 crew cab. If I install another remote start in this is it alot more difficult? I think this year has a transponder anti theft system and I did not have to mess with that on the Silverado.

I have read of ways to defeat this by systems that use a spare key and systems that dont use a spare key. In terms of reliability, which system is better? I know my mother in law had a starter put on a newer gm and had intermittent startign problems and eventually took it back to have the system removed.

Also, since this is a 4 dorr would I be able to work all 4 door locks with the hand held remote? Are there any better systems out there than the Astra?

I really appreciate it! I am going to miss my starter.

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

The 2006 F150 is fairly easy to do.  There are several places to get the wiring info you need. 

Here is Bulldogs site link:  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp   

Here is info from this site:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~86555

The F150 does have a transponder engine immobilizer. 

There are several good bypass modules you can get that work very reliably and don't make you loose a key.  ( Hiding a key under the dash is a possible security risk.)  However, to do the bypass you need two working, none clone keys.  Check this before you buy the truck.  Getting a key made at the dealer can be expensive.  The DEI PKall bypass is a good choice, fairly available and will cost you around $45.

The remote start unit with keyless entry will handle locking and unlocking all your doors.  Its just a matter of hooking up two wires.  As far as good brands, any name brand is good ( Viper, Compustar, AudioVox, AST ).  I would suggest looking at Ultra Start.  They are solid units, have good range, can be easily programmed and the instructions are pretty understandable.  Their model U1272-PRO will do everything and is available for around $60.

Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

One thing I like about my Astra is the range. It has an antenna that sits on the windshield and I can start it from my office inside a building 500 or more feet away. Will the one you recommend do that?

What can I do if the truck does not have two keys?

Also, someone said if a battery is removed the transponder bypass will have to be reprogramed each time? Does this mean I wont be able to start it with the key?

Sometimes on my wife's car you have to hit the door lock button twice to lock the back doors. That is why I asked if this could be duplicated on the remote for the auto start for a 4 door truck.

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

Most quality after market R/S's will easily go 1000 feet.  The U1272-PRO is listed at 1200 feet ( althought I've seen it do much better).  Here is a link to their site for info:  http://www.ultrastarters.com/Feature_Sheets/PRO_Feature%20Sheets%20PDF/1272XR-PRO.pdf    It also uses a windshield antenna and this antenna has 2 blue LEDs that will flash when the truck is locked via the R/S.  It makes it appear that there is a security system installed.  There are other ( FM based ) R/S systems that will give 3000' range and even some that are rated at 1 mile.  Just remember the saying             " Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?".....

The PKALL bypass, once programmed to your truck should not need to be reprogrammed in the event of a dead ( or replacement ) battery.  I have upgraded R/S systems and re-used the bypass module after being unplugged for several hours without problem.  The R/S system should not interfere with a normal key start.

For the DIYer, the Ford based PATS system is user friendly in that you can add a key yourself in a couple of minutes.  No need to visit the dealer or use a scan tool.  BUT you need two working, non clone keys.  Without the two keys you will need to go to the dealer and have one made.  If you are buying the truck from a dealer, make that part of the deal.

If you attach the R/S's lock output to the correct wire in the truck, it will lock all 4 doors with one button press.  Usually, it's just on vehicles that have progressive unlock that you have to press twice, first time does drivers door, second time does the rest.

Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Why is there a battery back up for the PKAll? I think I saw one somewhere. It is a 9 volt battery.
kreg357 
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

The PKALL bypass module does not have a battery backup.  Here is a link to the PKALL info:   http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=196

Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

What is this: http://www.passlock2.com/ half way down the page.

kreg357 
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
The PKALL listed is the correct item but you can get it cheaper else where ( like EBay ).  Just make sure it is new, unused and complete with virgin wire harnesses.  The 9v battery they list is cute but a PKALL can only be programmed once to one car, so I'm not sure what they mean by loosing its program...
Soldering is fun!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

lol the battery is a nice touch. waste of money. it cant loose its programming but if the battery is completely flat. if you try to start it it will not start.

the ign needs to be cycled at least once for it to engage full operation again.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic