best spl sub for around 200?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elevation 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
hi,
im building a new system and im just wondering what would be the best SPL sub for around 200 bucks i want to get 12's also lookin at pushing around 140+ dbs
thanks
elevation 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
if its possible to hit 140db with a 200 dollar sub sry bout that
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Think of it like this.... Comparisons cant be made when your asking from a price point view. The sub wont be the reason SPL is any higher if you compared all the subs in that price range. Getting the SPL numbers you want falls solely on the box. I'd say power is 2nd, I have seen unbelievable numbers produced from low power. Then any sub ($200) that couldnt hit your goal should be cursed to the dammed!
This is what I do for FUN!
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
How about the vehicle, available space for enclosure and what will be powering it? There is way more to it then just a sub. Are you wanting to just compete or would you actually like something ok to listen too? SPL and SQ are 2 different things. Sure you can be in the middle somewhere, but it will be sacrificing a bit of both.
best spl sub for around 200? - Last Post -- posted image.
elevation 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
the vehicle is a Acura RSX and im looking to build a ported box that fits 2 12's the space i have to work with is 36" wide by 26" long by 13" high im not really sure what to power it with i was kinda waiting to see what subs i was going to buy before that. im looking for a system that i could compete with if i wanted to. so mainly leaning towards SPL.if that helps
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
This is from my notes which started a while back, but changes havnt been too bad. The cadence is the most recent entry.
Kicker Solo-Baric L5, CVX Kicker Comp, JL Audio W3, RE Audio SE, TS-W3002 Pioneer Premier, Diamond Audio M6, Soundstream T5, Cerwin Vega V-Max, Lanzar OPTI, Cadence ZRS, Soundstream SPLX.
I have seen a pair of everyone of these in 12" hit over 145db. Out of them all, I'd only purchase the Diamond for no reason what so ever. The SS SPLX plays some wicked noise, but can be a comp winner easily. Lanzar made the number happen, but DO NOT go there. JL sounded the best, Cerwin got the Low's.
As far as price goes, they range from over $100+/- up to maybe low $200. So with all that being said, when it comes to a sub purchase, if there's $400 dollar subs on clearance sale, and you have power to play, your competition winning possibilities are going to increase drastically.
A typical bill of $1000 on wire, sound deadening, elec. acc., big 3, H.O. Alternator(maybe) should be in the budget too.
This is what I do for FUN!
elevation 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
ok thanks
84subeywagon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

I work with a small shop in a little town but i have a lot of great luck with my systems i buy from them. What other posters have said is very true its all in the box i had 2 Alpine type-E 12" woofers breaking 120 DB just because my box was made FOR them. Now Type-E is bottom of the line Alpine with only 250 watts RMS check into some Type-S or Type-R run a ported box that is custom for the subs. You should break 140 DB no problem if you run the right power and have a good box. I am an Alpine fiend myself though Soundstream is good along with Precision Power and Kicker but they are going to run you a little more for a good woofer. For Soundstream i would say check out their new square woofer. For Kicker i would check into CVR or L5's. They can handle some good juice and will hit pretty good. But I know a lot about Alpine i have been reading and working with them since i could drive. Also remember you will need to get a good EQ not the one on the amp that lets you drop to 50 Hz something that will get you down to 37 Hz send me a message if you have some questions about Alpine or Soundstream or Kicker. hope this post helped you some.

elevation 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
sounds good thanks alot. this site answered all my questions
michaelhook86 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Once upon a time i had 2 volfenhag high power 12's in a ported box in the back of my explorer running off of a 2000 watt volfenhag 2 channel amp and i hit 142 dbs. I think the box might of been 2 small for the subs, but i was happy with it. That was back when i wasn't really knowledgable about box specs and such. Im still learning to this day, and have so much more to learn.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic