identify, wiring for this cruise unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sunn 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2010 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys,

i picked up this cruise control from a junk yard, it was in a 1990 civic, and im going to try to put it in a 1993 mazda B2200.

i checked the wiring info here before i got it, and seemed simple enough, 4 wires. But, this unit has 7 (seven) wires and some odd options on the back.

i cant find a model or make of the unit anywhere so i was hoping  at least some one could tell me what the wires are for.

here is the unit:

identify, wiring for this cruise unit -- posted image.

back of the main unit

here is where the harness plugs into the main unit

here is the main harness

here is the control unit

here is where the control harness connects to the rest of the harness

here are all the 7 wires that i assume at least 4 need to be connected.

the yellow one says " noise suppression do not remove" and its got a little something ( a noise suppressor no doubt) shrink wrapped on it. I have no clue where this goes, not sure it was even connected to anything in the civic.

The BROWN one on the far left is actually two wires one with a white dotted line on it, it was going into the the firewall and was connected to part of the harness below the steering column.

the BLACK one on the far right is also two wires, one with a dotted line, I think it was going to the speed sensor, it went down to the auto-transmission of the civic. The GREEN one was connected to ground when took it off the civic. not sure why there were two wires going to the speed sensor.

this orange one says "switched 12 volt" on it, im assuming this goes to the hot side of the brake If my mazda has that...

and here are the option/switches available on the back

so what im hoping to find out is, where each wire goes, and which settings to use regarding the speed sensor and the sensitivity. i know to set the cyl. setting to 3or4 not 5or6.

also on the wiring page of the12volt for a 1993 mazda b2200 it says the hot side of the brake is "n\a" what does that mean, do i just not use that option?

thanks for any help you might have

-sunn

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
That looks like it could be an old Zemco cruise control unit. I would say throw it away and make it go as far away as possible. Those units were the worst thing I ever had the agony of trying to install. The unit is probably about 20 years old. The quality control was non-existant. Almost every install wouldn't work because of bad parts. It took numerous parts to make one working unit. They never lasted more than a year at best. Take it from someone who has done thousand of cruise controls. Run away and run fast. You can buy a new unit and install it without a lot of fuss and cost.
sparky
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
You can download the related wiring diagrams for a 90 civic at the following link:
1990 Honda Civic Cruise Diagrams
sunn 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

thanks to sparkies ID of the unit ( Zemco )  i found a manual for a DIFFERENT unit and this is what i found out, for those of you who care.

the brown wires are for the brake switch and the polarity is not important

the black wire is for THEIR OWN speed sensor, it was connected to axle strap sensor, i assume. though i never saw this when delicately removing it....

from this i can assume that the yellow wire connects to the coil and that is why there is a noise suppressor

and the orange is the power for the unit, and the green is of course still ground

so now im wondering if i can hook this up without using the speed sensor, sorry sparkie i might ignore your advice for now.

1.21gw
jfmmck 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

I know it's been a few years since you posted about the Zemco cruise control, but did you get it working?  I just purchased one just like it on ebay, except it doesn't have the sensor wire (black on the far right in your pictures) and it didn't have instalation instructions.  I'm looking for help, do you still have the manual you found, if so could I get a wiring diagram?

Jamie

Jamie

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic