icon

99 dakota prostart 5072

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
87pontiac 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2010 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

I recently installed a Pro Start 5072, 3 in 1 remote start on a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Sport truck. The install went through fine, although i had seen different web sites have different wiring schematics for the IGN 2 and ACC wire colors. After installing the Pro Start and programming the remote, I pressed the START button and the PARK lights  lit up then tuned off, then the park/headlights came on but it would not CRANK. After a few seconds the system tried to start again, no luck.....it tried a 3rd time and still no go.

Here is as much info that I can give you; 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Sport, Black ignition key (casing), system not in Valet mode (led blinking normally- not staying lit), alarm arms and disarms with remote, system can be controlled via remote, no power doors or windows, no starter kill relay, no OEM security that I'm aware of.

Just out of curiousity, I checked Bulldog security and found there wiring schematic to have a different wire color for the IGN 2 wire from the truck, they have it as GREEN/ RED (+), also Commando has the same color description as Bulldog. "The 12 Volt" has this same wire as BLACK/ WHITE. Now because of the gauge of the wire, BLACK/ WHITE  seems to be more likely because the GREEN/ RED is a much smaller wire gauge.

Any how any ideas as to why it wont crank over but all else works the way it should?

Ron

1999 Dakota Sport

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2010 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

ign - blue (+)

ign 2 - BLACK/ white (+)
acc - BLACK/ orange (+)

test with your DMM. verify that the starter output wire has voltage on it.

notice how many times your parklights flash, this will indicate why its not starting from start diagnostics in the book.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
You may notice that every wiring sheet has a disclaimer on it mentioning that it is up to you to confirm the wiring in the vehicle as what is listed may not be accurate. This truck is a prime example. I have 2 different listings on the wires. Do yourself a favour and use a digital volt meter to confirm all wires first. A true ignition wire is one that has 12 volts on it during and after crank cycle. An accessory wire will have 12 volts on before and after cranking, but not during crank. The starter wire only has 12 volts during crank.
sparky
87pontiac 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

All good info and after 1.5 days of diagnosing the problem, I had indeed initially wired the module correclty , the BLACK/ White wire was not neceassry to connect (as IGN 2),  as instructed from the Auto Start Tech Support staff and the Starter wire should be checked. It turns out the Customer had previous electrical work done and in the process the mechanic cut the Blue / YELLOW (starter wire). In its place he used a solid RED wire. Once I found the source of the problem and replaced the RED wire with the correct color the vehicle fired right up. As for the Disclaimer, I was more curious as to how many companies have different wiring schematics for the exact same vehicle, consider more of a point of interest and for those who read this, do your homework, use a volt ohm meter and be sure. 

Lesson learned.........Use a VOM right from the start to verify ALL wires, do not assume they are correct.....measure twice, cut once!

Thanks for advice 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic