icon

amp for my highs in my show car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatboybuick 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone I was curious to know your views on this.  I'm putting together a show car, of which I will not be using for audio competitions, but I would like a bad ass system in the case I due want to turn it up.  I'm looking for clarity with alot of bass.  What I've purchase so far is 8 - pioneer 2 way 5 1/4's.  I was thinking of 4 or 6 - pioneer 5 way 6x9's and possiblly 4 pioneer flush mount tweets, this will round out my high end and mid bass.  My question is what amp would you guys prefer to run this set up in either a mtx elite 4 channel, or a hifonics 4 channel.  Please let me know of which brand/model would be sufficent without a overkill of wattage, and possibly how I would wire all of this to one amp.  For the bass I'm looking into and loving the orion hcca subs possibly a 12 or 15, but which ever amp I choose for the highs there will be a matching amp for the subs.  The car is a 1972 buick electra 4 door, if that matters, and please let me know for a set up like this would an additional battery be a good idea, and  possibly where can I get a high power alternator for this car and please let me know of what amperage I should be looking for the the alternator.   Thanks in advance for all your help.
fatboybuick
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Lord have mercy. Why Pioneer? When choosing the right audio brand, its best to stick with one that specializes in its field. Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion etc, how much consideration can they put in their product when the company is so diverse?   You can run 8 speakers to a 2ch amp @4ohm stereo or a 4ch amp @2ohm stereo x 2. I'd use the 4ch to maximize power. The 6x9's can be ran 2ohm stereo from the front and the tweets the rear of another 4ch amp. The IDBL of any single sub will not be suffice to those high's. You can get a lower quality sub and run 3 of them. The sound they offer will compliment a lot more than a beating from a HO sub. You can use like JL w1's or Memphis REF's to get the sub sound louder with less hassle. 3 jlw1's can run fine off a 500w amp. Which could conserve the battery power way better than 2000w you'd want to pump into a HCCA. If you isolate a deep cycle battery to the ACC, and one to the vehicle, you should be fine. The alternator size I would delegate solely on the amount of power you will end up using on your sub. Thus, wait until last to add after determining how much current you may pull. For brands, I am going to have to put Soundstream at the top of the list here.
This is what I do for FUN!
fatboybuick 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

As for pioneer, I've had pretty good performance out of them, but can you suggest a brand that would better suit my situation.  I've heard brands like focal, that I absolutely loved, but I can't really afford that stuff, to run to each door and and 6x9's in the rear deck.  Definately if I can achieve the same resultsor better, with a quality over quantity approach, please let me know. I was going to run two subs either 12's or 15's and I really love how the hcca's can reach that low end.  I also seen you recommended soundstream, now was that for a amp or what?  Thanks much for your response, and please feel free to offer suggestions. thanks

fatboybuick
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Enclosure, Xmax and cone area are 3 of the biggest determiners of loudness down low. I personally don't like the HCCA. There are better out there for the money. RE, Fi, AQ, DC to name a few and many more then just those. BTW IMO Orion amps are crap compared to what they used to be. I know you said you wanted your amps to match subs. For a budget i would take a serious look at Audioque. Great stuff at a very respectable price.
amp for my highs in my show car -- posted image.
84subeywagon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have heard some great systems that didn't break the owners bank. If you are after Quality not Quantity i say throw in some Alpine Type-R or Type-S components with a PDX or MRP amp (i prefer the PDX for components honestly). A Type-R 15" sub or a Type-X 12" sub and i promise you'll hear those lows and not drown out the mids and highs. Another great system i have heard was Precision Power it was all custom done by an owner of a shop. Very clean sounding i would suggest checking into them. Also Soundstream makes slick amps at a very reasonable price with many different options for mounting them. Kicker is always out there but not my first choice if you want to save money since with Kicker you DO buy the name (and the name is expensive). Also check out Kenwood the shop i work at just got in some of the new amps and decks and they are really nice i would put them in my car if i wasn't all Alpine already. Check out some of the other brands if your worried about cost (Powerbass and Clarion to name a couple) they all sound good for a cheap price.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
If you are serious with all those coax speakers systems, AND you still have a mind to add even MORE, in the 6X9 flavor, use whatever amp you want, as SQ is NOT your primary goal in this system, I guarantee it. Forget the sheer numbers, but the speaker systems themselves are about as far from "sound quality" as you can get. With that many multi-way speaker systems, loud is all you are EVER going to get, and from this angle, ANY amp you get WILL NOT hurt anything - it'll still be just as loud.
Good luck.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
fatboybuick 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok everyone here's a better question, I'm working on a 72 buick electra 4 door.  What would you guys recommend in sound quality,that I would like to play loud on occation.  I would like to know speaker's, how many sets, what size, for the front, rear deck, and subs. I would like a nice set up front, rear doors, and rear deck. 2 - 4 subs in the trunk.  Also let me know what do you guys think of the mtx elite amps?  I'm curious to know what type of system would you guys put to together with say a budget of 2500.00 for everything.  Thanks in advance
fatboybuick
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2010 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Wire, connections and sound deadening included? I'd leave your back dash open to allow the bass to get through. Then 1 spkr/door @ 100w each. Peep these: Soundstream TRC.60C, then compare to these: JL Audio TR650CSi. These too: MB Quart DSH-216, Infinity 6020CS, Boston Acoustics SX60. Last I knew, these were all priced somewhat the same. It's a good level of speaker to work with... each brand mentioned also makes amps. If results are not satisfying then add some kick panels and a couple more speakers up front.
This is what I do for FUN!
klferguson26 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

Here is my $.02 -   MB Quart sells components cheap now...under 100 for 6 1/2" sets.  Run a set of 6 1/2 components in the front doors and either some MB Quart 6x9 in the rear deck or another set of 6 1/2" in the rear doors.  Then a set of DVC 12s in the trunk.  Amplifier wise, I have a preference to Alpine.  Any Alpine 4 channel will power the interior speakers well enough to make it loud, and a decent mono amp to run the 12s...would sound great...and get real loud for not too much invested.

klferguson26 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
klferguson26 wrote:

Here is my $.02 -   MB Quart sells components cheap now...under 100 for 6 1/2" sets.  Run a set of 6 1/2 components in the front doors and either some MB Quart 6x9 in the rear deck or another set of 6 1/2" in the rear doors.  Then a set of DVC 12s in the trunk.  Amplifier wise, I have a preference to Alpine.  Any Alpine 4 channel will power the interior speakers well enough to make it loud, and a decent mono amp to run the 12s...would sound great...and get real loud for not too much invested.

Alpine m1000 mono block amp - $250-300; Alpine F300 4 channel - $150-200; ALpine SPS 600C components or Mb Quart FSA216 for $60-80; Alpine SPS69C or MB Quart DKH169 6x9 - $65; Alpine SWR 12420 Type R 12" DVC subs - $120 each - killer system for uner $1500

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic