icon

giordon remote start for diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dpswain 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

I just purchased a Giordon remote start because it says it will work with a diesel engine. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel.

I was smart enough to know that I couldn't install this so I had a professional do it.

The problem I have is the installer couldn't find a D/C signal to tell the remote start to turn off the starter. He said the signal coming off the tach was A/C and this particular unit did not recognize it.

Any idea how I could overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

David

paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

I've never heard of that particular brand, but I'm guessing it can be set more than one way.  Usually when checking dc, the alarm is looking for an increase in voltage.  Meaning the alternator is running.  If it searches this way, then you would pre-set the duration for which the starter spins and then if the voltage is higher, the alarm assumes the car is running.  The problem with looking for a voltage change is your car doesn't always start exactly the same, so its hard to preset the amount of time the starter will spin.  If you set it too low, then the car will not turn over long enough in the cold weather.  Too long, and it will overcrank when its warm. 

If you use the a/c which is preferred, the starter will stop spinning as soon as the alarm see's the a/c signal.  I couldn't tell you for sure whether your alarm will accept this signal but would assume it does. Just need to read through the owners manual and figure it out.  If it doesn't, I'm sure there is some device available to change the tach signal to something your alarm can read.  I just don't know what that device would be. 

dpswain 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking as well. Some type of device that would convert the signal to something the unit can see.

Thanks again.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

you have a 50/50 chance of this working. these units are horrible to put in any car.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2010 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm 100% with Tedmund on his comments but going back to your first post, all DECENT brands see AC for the tach setting, it's not real AC but it's enough for the tach sense, though I'd worry more about getting the piece of garbage just to work. Your installer found the right signal, it's the Giordon that's the problem.
dpswain 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2010 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

I now wish I had researched this site before I bought the thing.

Thanks for the help. I hope I can get this to work. giordon remote start for diesel -- posted image.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2010 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

this POS unit (in my opinion), look for a wire that says oil pressure sense wire. connect this wire straight to ignition.

if the starter reengages, do what i mentioned above. if it starts but doesnt stay running, look for a alternator sense input and connect this to 12v.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
dpswain 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Tedmond. I'll pass this info along.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic