icon

speaker wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Hey all....  been a while since I posted but want to ask the question no one wants to really hear......

Which speaker wire out there is one of the best / most cost effective for wiring up some seperates.......

Things to consider or have questions about.......

Size or AWG.....  Jacketed......  Number of twists.....  Parallel or run just side by side.....  Regular good old 16 or 14 guage wire by GE from Home Depot.....  bla bla bla.....

I am getting ready to finally wire up my Focal 165 V1's to my PDX 4100 in active mode.....   100 X 4 but of course keeping the tweets down in power.  Or blowing them up so I have an excuse to replace them....  grin

Just want to know if any of you have bumped into what you would consider a great wire to work with, dosent pick up to many stray freq, and is in your opinion a great wire for the price.

BTW....  I just picked up 65 feet of RAAMaudio BXT MLV and will be installing when the wire goes in......  I will post some pics and let you all know how it goes.  Seems like a great product at a great price for the old ford explorer.  Also picked up 3 yards of ensolite closed cell foam......  will be putting that on the inside of all four doors  with a 12 X 12 patch behind each speaker trying to kill back wave.  Will be sealing up all holes with sheet metal before MLV....

The above is my road to decent mids and tweets untill it is time to put the focals in the trash.....  but I have to use what I have for the moment and no use putting in great componets if I dont do the leg work first...

Thoughts on speaker wire is where I am at right now....  thanks for your ideas....

Licto

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I suggest this, or an equivalent. 
Support the12volt.com
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
I suggest this, or an equivalent. 

$10.70

Excellent . . .

anything more esoteric than this is a waste of money.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
Unless you get the equivalent in a Cat-5B or better twist so that mutual inductions and external interference is canceled out. (Coax is just too capacitive, but is great for powering amps.)
speaker wire? -- posted image. speaker wire? -- posted image. - I'm just stirring - it's been a while.... (I won't mention mono gr..ns or molec..r c..l boud.r..s.)
Thanks to DY for the link, and Anon's endorsement is truly valued.
(PS - I have similar cable for my driving spots - not through choice - merely availability. But I'm curious to see its insulation breakdown being in the engine bay, over the radiator, frontally exposed (limited to 160kph/100mph), and often free to vibrate and flap about. Alas no noticeable breakdown (or even discoloring!) after a year (or more).... A pleasant surprise indeed!)
mastermindz 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  
I've used scosche e2 12 gauge wire for my speakers and I've had some pretty good results with it, only paid About $40 for a 50 ft. Roll
Mastermindz
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks to all.....  I picked up what Diyon recommended.  Great price and plenty of it.....
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

oldspark wrote:
Unless you get the equivalent in a Cat-5B or better twist so that mutual inductions and external interference is canceled out. (Coax is just too capacitive, but is great for powering amps.)
speaker wire? -- posted image. speaker wire? -- posted image. - I'm just stirring - it's been a while.... (I won't mention mono gr..ns or molec..r c..l boud.r..s.)
Thanks to DY for the link, and Anon's endorsement is truly valued.
(PS - I have similar cable for my driving spots - not through choice - merely availability. But I'm curious to see its insulation breakdown being in the engine bay, over the radiator, frontally exposed (limited to 160kph/100mph), and often free to vibrate and flap about. Alas no noticeable breakdown (or even discoloring!) after a year (or more).... A pleasant surprise indeed!)

LOL somehow I predicted that post, I could hear it in my head when I clicked POST. :D

Surely, he could use twisted and shielded and plenum ferrite cores and magic dust, but 95% of the installations I ever hear sounds like crap for so many other reasons, that I can't encourage someone to spend a lot on wire unless they rest if the infrasructure is just as meticulously done.

If this were 2 Krell or Bryston mono blocks pushing some Carver Platinums or Martin Logans, of course I would have a radically different answer.

The voice of God shoud be heard on Martin Logans, rap should be heard on $10 speaker wire.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
anonymous1 wrote:
The voice of God shoud be heard on Martin Logans, rap should be heard on $10 speaker wire.
Martin Logans? Ewww.... AWFUL systems. Proven repeatedly. You should see the third party (NOT the Martin-Logan provided) waterfalls on 'em... No, don't! You'll be depressed. R-R-R-R-I-I-I-I-N-N-N-N-G-G-G-G!!! No matter WHAT you do to them, their response is simply horrific! I, too, used to be a fan of the ML stuff, but not any more! Image? Oh, yeah, there's NO denying they IMAGE as if angels WERE singing through them, but frequency response anomalies GALORE! That, and they need a GIANT room to sound their best. speaker wire? -- posted image.
Now... Get whatever wire you can afford! The stuff DYohn linked is awesome... I've used it myself. Anything more, is simply for the bling!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
But does it have oxygen?  speaker wire? -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
But does it have oxygen?  speaker wire? -- posted image.
Well, if it DOES, you don't want it! LOL
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic