icon

2003 denali radio locked

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deriehl 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

I just got a 2003 GMC Denali.  The original radio had been removed and replaced with a different system.  The (supposedly) original radio was reinstalled before I got it.  The radio is locked and none of the alarm chimes work.  My local GM dealer wants $100 whether he can fix it or not.  So I did some research on the internet (that's how I found this site).  I found I could test the unit by pulling and reinstalling the radio fuse with the vehicle in Acc.  The radio was no longer locked, but there was no sound.

I don't care about OnStar, I just want to have a radio and the alarms working. 

Thanks,  Doug

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
You have 2 problems. If your vehicle is a Denali, then the chime functions are actually controlled by the amplifier in the truck. If they aren't working, you either have a problem with the amp or with the wiring or speakers. The chimes should work regardless if there is a radio in the truck or not. To get the radio unlocked, it must be set up with the dealer's computor for a non-naviagation radio or with the dealer's Tech II scan tool for a Navigation radio. Hopefully, the radio in the truck is designed for a Denali, because many of these radios look alike, but the Denali version is special. If you have the wrong radio it will never control the amp.
sparky
deriehl 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply.

I know I 'm stuck with going to the dealer to unlock the radio. 

Do you know how to go about testing the amp?

Thanks again,

Doug

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Check the underhood amp fuse is OK. Many of the these trucks have had aftermarket stereos in them and are missing parts or not hooked back up to factory when people are trading them in. Ideally, take it to a dealer that is trustworthy and have them look at it quickly. Explain to them that you just got the vehicle. If they know what they are doing, they should be able to give you a rough idea of how much it is going to cost. You may want to remove the radio and check the wiring behind it to see if there is evidence of a prior system. Check that there is an amp under the back of the console. Check that there are speakers in the doors.
sparky
elway_740 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2010 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).
Procedure:
01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds
03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
04. Press the AM/FM button
05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05
07. Call 1 800 537 5140
08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”
09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)
10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11
14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction in your Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
The system elway_740 is describing is for GM radio's that have the Theftlock anti-theft system. The 2003 Denali doesn't use this system. Beginning in 2003 GM full-size trucks switched to a Service Programming System wherein the radio is controlled via data. The radio's must be set up using TIS2WEB (GM software programming system). Within the program sequence the radio stores the VIN of the vehicle and other system information. When the vehicle is turned on, the modules communicate with one another and if the VIN stored within each doesn't match, problems occur. In the case of a radio, it goes into LOCK mode and won't work until it is properly programmed.
sparky
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
deriehl wrote:

Do you know how to go about testing the amp?

Test the second harness that plugs into the radio.
There should be a wire color PINK. that wire needs to have +12v for the factory amp to turn on.
This works for the yukon with onstar with 8" factory sub.
This however, doesn't resolve the "chime" issue. That was built into the original factory radio. It might match the existing but will not operate the factory chime.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
The amplifiers in the Denali and Escalade trucks don't use a 12 volt trigger to turn the amp on. They use Class II data. The other fullsize trucks use a 12 volt trigger. The components (radio and amp) must have battery power, ground and data to work. Even though the truck may be a Yukon, if it is the Denali version, it has a different audio system in it.
sparky
deriehl 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2010 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

I finally had time to check things out more thoroughly.  The amp fuse is good, speakers are in the door.  The wiring at the amp was hacked.  I've rewired it and now I have the alarm chimes.

I still can't get the radio to work in test mode.  It unlocks and the display works but no sound.

Is there any way to tell if it is the proper unit for the Denali?

Thanks,

Doug

smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2010 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Go to www.denalitrucks.com Good group of guys there and they will get you straightened out. One of them is even an engineer for GM.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic