icon

starter relay confusion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dcro65 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2010 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to install a Prestige APS-25N car alarm on my 65 chevy chevelle and the instructions for the starter relay is not making sense compared to other relay diagrams. In the instructions and relay harness, the 86 is ground when armed with diode band to 85 red -12V ign/crank. Its a little unclear where the 30-WHITE/ black and 87a--Black. I'm under the impresstion that it should be (86) 12V ign/crank, diode band from (85) GWA, (87a) from ign. switch and (30) to starter. Which is correct?

Also, if I add a sensor GWA to GWA wire between alarm-relay,  Do I need a diode anywhere?

phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
you will need to cut the starter wire in half. 85-ignition 12volt,   86-GWA from alarm,  30-car side of start wire,  87A-key side of start wire.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Correct answer except ign should go to 86 and GWA to 85, that's how the car manufacturers do it, also to ISO configuration. Yes to the second diode, play safe.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

dcro65-

Audiovox provides a diode in the relay socket already.  The diode is installed such that the band is toward  the red lead of the provided relay socket assembly (relay pin 85), and is intended to connect to the ignition signal (12 volts duting run and crank).    The orange lead of the relay socket assembly (relay pin 86) connects to the orange (ground when armed) lead of your APS25N 11 pin harness.  If you are using the supplied relay harness, do not reverse these.  phil6710 has correctly described the connections.  Not sure why Audiovox decided not to follow ISO...

Lectric Guy
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
Letric guy, this last comment has been a bone of contention for some time now. All the car manufacturers stick with ISO, I do a lot of auto-electrical repair, AC windows, locks etc. so I insist on 85 being the negative coil side. In general practice and when simply switching, 85/6 and 30/87, can be swapped. The down side would be relays with built-in diodes. I hate it when reputable manufacturers like AV who should know better and even diagrammes on this site reverse the coil. It's OK if you understand the relay and what it's function is but I bet rookies get confused.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

Howie-

I fully agree.   I am not in the 12 Volt industry, but I have 25+ years in the electronics industry as an electrical engineer and a 12V enthusiast .  I have seen the impact standards such as ISO have on an industry, and it is a good thing, particularly for those working in aftermarket electronics.  I believe much of AVs reluctance to change may have to do more with installed base of product and cost to implement a change across multiple manufacturing sites (Nu-tek & Advance) and phase in documentation, etc. (Others such as Chris L  on this site have offered to improve documentation for AV and have not been taken up on the offer...)  In the case of this post, the AV doc is extremely unclear for the APS25N regarding the starter interrupt relay wiring (connection missing on the diagram).  

Lectric Guy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic