icon

amp case, cheap style

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
Whazzah! Boredom....lets see, what can I do? I decided to build a cover for my new amp and distribution block. Figured I'd make it interesting by using what I had laying around. Redwooood...good start, its soft and easy to cut, why not!
amp case, cheap style - Last Post -- posted image.
This frame was about as small as I could possibly go. Easy to do too. I set down 1 layer of cloth for a mold of the area that I'm working with.(This is the gap that holds the back seat rest of the back panel in my truck) I set the frame in the one layer mold while wet and added some glass patches to bond the mold and frame together.
After it dried, I had a base and a frame to do with as I please!
So, I added in the frame for the window. I went with some 3/4x" of some hard wood, cant recall type, but perfect for stapling the tension of the nylon. The other areas that were not going to anchor any staples, were formed just using masking tape. I ended up taping most of the face of the cover to make sure I didnt have any cloth sagging on the corners between the frame ribs. I painted the tape with just the FB liquid first and let it dry.
Cloth? Hmmm Ahh yes, I pulled off the wife beater I was wearing and wrapped that.
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
Most of my strength and support came from Bondo. La la la de da!
Post nylon! Is where I be now lads!
[amp case, cheap style - Last Post -- posted image.
I can find the right color nylon, but the texture is off and it just does not go well with the interior...of MY WORK truck...geez, this stupid thing. Started out simple, just a sub, "I need a little bass". I purposely installed 4ga to limit the amount of equipment I put in. For all my beef I had with Memphis... well ironically I came across a discontinued but brand new amp. Offered to me for free. Could not refuse... Which pretty much means I need a set of subs! My Cerwin VMAX has to take a time out. So I came across these...
My favorites, D312D4's. Older but bran friggin new!! So we ended up building a downfire enclosure for them. 1.5ft3/sub sealed.. I'm just rockin these for kicks for the moment...there's no way I can keep that size box in there LOL.
Now I'm on the verge of getting a huge alt. Unfortunately, I have no connections in this area of the business. I had to replace the power wire which was most disappointing...rookie manuever... but now I'm rockin 1/0, of some cable I had sitting around. Which I shall pay tribute too......MTX Thundercable 1/0. I could get a smaller bend radius with 1/2" EMT. Off the hook OFC. Real vitamin C!
I had to run some stinger 1/0 from the main fuse to the distribution block on the account of the Thundercable not making the bends on the route I had to take. But I locked down my Big 3 with it!
Whew Im tired, next update it will all come together...
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
DONE!
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian

wrote:

Most of my strength and support came from Bondo. 

Geeze!! Why? Have you no shame?amp case, cheap style - Last Post -- posted image.

Your not ashamed by that? Would you charge a customer for something like that if they employed you to build something?amp case, cheap style - Last Post -- posted image.

ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
HAHA   ashamed?   What are you....new? Redwood frame, wife beater fabric and left over material(could I go any lower)... PAY ATTENTION....All the engine wire is 1 color- 2 different brands of power wire-at least pick something sinful if you want to talk $#^^...
BEYOND that...the unframed 2mm thick form will warp without structure.
BEYOND that, BEYOND that - the sound package this truck delivers would blow your doors off.
If I get offered a better amp that's any larger- the cover's history.
So, to answer your question, "F&*@ NO!" I not ashamed.
I told people I put rocks in my box! For crying out loud.
The h311 you want, a picture of all my competition trophy's in my signature?
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Last night I'm sitting there looking at the amp case thinking: wth is wrong here... then it hit me like a #2.   I was aiming at the wrong match... the box you idiot!( I thought to myself). About a 3 hr setback, but there is no time limit.
I like this a lot better...
I also added a 4f digital cap...made by Phonics Digital.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

I dont know about being "new", I've been installing since the days of underdash mounted 8 track players, I can't see that as being too new.

I meant aren't you ashamed of building something where "you got most of the strength from body filler"?

But, in the end, yes I do remember seeing a thread you started some time ago where you put rocks inside your box, "ROXBOX" or some junk as i recall it..............so yes, this is a big time "step up" for you. amp case, cheap style - Last Post -- posted image.

ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well thanks! However you meant that, I'll take it as a compliment. Actually, this is the worst put-together I have ever been into. The theme on this truck is: Freebie. It has to be...I am newly married and there is no budget for car audio.(wifey sais) All this equipment has been donated from shops and friends. Problem now is, the sound is off the hook. In 2 weeks I am going to enter a drive-in street amateur class in Hayward, Ca. I think it's a MECA event. Hopefully, they have a RTA and SPL meter. If they do, and they let me enter, I'll post the results. Rest assured, there is no way in heck I'd ever do a build like this for anyone... I'd never advise anyone to build in the fashion that I do. Or try the odd freak experiments that I try. This system does not sell it self short at all, by any means. You may view the entire build, its linked in my profile. Just delete the12volt/installbay/ in the heading after you click the link. I appreciate the criticism too. I hope its realized that I know better. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. My situation is this or nothing.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
It was a compliment. And I remember those days of not having enough money to put into a system all too well.
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
you cant beat free, and it doesnt look that bad anyway.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic