icon

oxygen sensor bypass/simulator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beatnbronco 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

I'm sure this isn't the forum for this topic but i'm at an end. I have a 1995 Ford Bronco(full-size). I bought the truck and the check engine light is always on. When i had a diagnostic ran, come to find out the factory catalytic converter has been removed and there is no O2 sensor. I would like to find a bypass or simulator(whatever it's called) so that it tricks my ECU into thinking the catalytic converter is working properly and the check engine light won't stay on. I've searched ebay and google to no end, even tried O2simulator.com but everytime i try to contact them i get an error so that I can locate the right part. Can someone give me some direction. Thanks for any and all help

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

You may try contacting www.TokenSolutions.com - from memory they do quite a bit of O2 simulators.

If you can determine how your OEM sensors work you may be able to build your own simulators cheap.  There are some older ones that output a voltage but most of the newer ones output a frequency.

Kevin Pierson
beatnbronco 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

real good place to start..thanks

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Corrected 19Apr10:
Just supply 450mV (narrowband) or 2.5V (wideband) depending on the O2 sensor.
Systems with O2 sensors target a ~14.7:1 mixture which is usually about half the voltage range of the sensor.
Your engine with thus think it's running perfect no matter how much smoke it puts out the back, or how big the holes in your pistons are.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
BUMP to highlight correction 19Apr10 to last reply:
The usual O2-Sensor output voltages are:
Narrowband = 450mV
Wideband = 2500mV
beatnbronco 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

hey oldspark..i don't know that much about electrical circuits..could you possibly tell me where to run a wire from and which one of the pins to hook it to on the sensor pigtail..sorry but i'm not sure enough about my experience to go messing with my electrical system on my truck..i'll crawl under my truck and look at the wire colors and try to figure it out and find out the voltage for my sensor

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest you replace the 02 sensor if it's supposed to be fitted - it's probably the only way the ECU keeps its tune. Like I said - you could blow holes i your pistons of it leans out (at high revs etc).
I know nothing of the Bronco EMS/ECU & wiring.
beatnbronco 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
let's say i drill a hole in my exhaust and weld a nut fitted for the O2 sensor and install a new O2 sensor. will that correct my check engine light even if there is no catalytic converter? i considered doin it before just been busy and would like to know first before i attempt it..thanks for the help by the way
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
If memory serves me well, in 1995 there was no active diagnosis of the catalytic converter. Most likely just fitting the 02 sensor in the exhaust will set a different fault. Now most likely you are setting an electrical fault if the sensor is not there.
If it helps, my friend had a 1998 Dodge Dakota with the cats removed and all he did was hang the 02 sensors in "open air" and he never set the check engine light. Putting them in the exhaust stream is more likely to set the fault then leaving them open air. Open air would allow the sensors to see excess oxygen at least instead of all the unconverted hydrocarbons.
beatnbronco 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
sounds better..ill give that a try..thx
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic