wire dome light to map light switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FLcruising 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks 91stt,

That definitely helps to clarify as the map light circuitry is not so obvious by looking at it when removed. But the DEI timer doesn't give me the 10+ minute duration I'm looking.

oldspark,

The ground is already there at the dome light and map light, and it's constant so that's not the issue. The issue is that I would like the ability control the  'Interior Light' without reaching back and flipping it's switch as it's not within reach of the driver. The solution is to use one of the map light switches to ground the YELLOW wire, but currently this keeps that map light ON which I don't want.

Aaron
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
My bad!
I was thinking rear compartment light - not the dome light.
And I suppose it is unacceptable to keep the map light's door switch switch in the off position, and then merely ground any of the door switch outputs at the doors, or to or from the Body Control Module (behind the RHS of the dash)?
[FYI - That's a bit like my cabin lamp which has only door else on positions. It is normally in the door position, and the ground wire to the door switch(es) goes thru a 3-position rotary switch for off, door, or on. (It's actually a 4-position fan switch where the 4th position turned on under-dash flouros....) ]
FLcruising 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

That's how I have it now. The map light switch grounds the door pin, but since the map light switch has to be ON for this, the map light is always ON regardless of the DOOR/OFF switch position.

The goal of the circuit diagram I show is to quickly turn ON then OFF the EXISTING SWITCH, which would trigger the timer relay. But if the switch is ON for a second or two (like it would be if you wanted to use the map light), then the capacitor would charge and conduct which would activate the relay on the left, and cut power to the timer until the switch was turned OFF again. Then the capacitor would drain and everything would RESET.

Does this look like it will work the way I'm thinking? What capacitor/resistor combination would be required to give you a second or 2 before the capacitor charges? And how long would it take for the capacitor to drain and RESET?

Aaron
FLcruising 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Typo - ...activate the relay on the RIGHT, and cut power ...
Aaron
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
Just seen the diagramme. Ground terminal 5a BROWN / red at the BCM, then do it through a latched rather than momentary switch, no timer required.
First rule for these projects:- KISS Keep it simple, stupid.
FLcruising 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Once again, I'm NOT working on the 'Cargo Compartment Light' here on terminal 5A.

I'm working on the 'Interior Light' and 'Map Light' on terminal 6I.

Sometimes simple just won't do.

Aaron
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
If you want to put the time into it and don't mind doing some assembly, you can build a timer circuit.
It is based on a 555 timer set up in monostable mode.
Here is a brief write up that may help.
It is not difficult to do and parts are readily available from places like digikey.com
http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?4
FLcruising 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

That's great. I've got a 555 timer. The problem is with all the components and a half-dozen relays to do a momentary latched on/off. I'm up to the price of a pre-assembled timer like the Altroix 6062 or ELK-960. I've got some pondering to do.

Aaron
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
FLcruising wrote:

That's great. I've got a 555 timer. The problem is with all the components and a half-dozen relays to do a momentary latched on/off. I'm up to the price of a pre-assembled timer like the Altroix 6062 or ELK-960. I've got some pondering to do.

You do not need the extra relays for latching since the timer circuit will do that for you. You can go with a dual timer for added flexibility
FLcruising 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Upon using several 555 calculators, it appears the longest duration I can get reliably with a 555 is about 4-5 minutes. Apparently it's not 'safe' to use anything greater than a 1mŮ / 100µF combination either. Any other ideas?

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm#monostable

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/projects/timer.htm

Aaron
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic