icon

stereo stays on until door is opened

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Look again at the rear of the (factory) head unit. ALL German cars with factory head units manufactured by Bosch/Alpine /Clarion/HK Becker/Panasonic/Philips etc.etc. Use a 10 amp fuse built in to the rear (side) of the ISO socket. Door contacts are probably brown white going to an under seat alarm module that also controls the locks. Here it was the right hand seat and boy are those chairs fun to remove and put back. As Kevin says, I wouldn't trust a 20 year old radio with a 2amp fuse.
borland 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

I see now that the The12volt.com example answers my original question, as the example uses a 1A diode.

Here's what I have worked up for a schematic using the single DPDT latching relay...

stereo stays on until door is opened - Page 2 -- posted image.

and with a delay circuit to keep the circuit from immediately latching before engine starter cranking...

Since my car's accessary wire is isolated from other accessories, this circuit should work..

And on my car with the delay circuit..

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
I seem to remember that like BMWs the ACC on mid-90s Porsches stays live during cranking. Quick test. If the fuse box is in front of the left front wheel, with ceramic fuses your right if it's in front of the bulkhead forward of the windscreen with blade (Littelfuse type) you're wrong.
borland 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe, but my car has a newer replacement ignition switch.  The old Porsche part number has been superseded by a Porsche one with a 944 prefix. Anyway, the ignition switch currently in my car does interupt the stereo accessory wire during starter cranking.  BTW, those old ceramic fuses were replaced by Porsche starting in 1985.

Here's a view of the prototype circuit I built.

Component list

RL1 – DPDT Latching Relay, 12VDC, two coil, 2A contact rating, eBay, about $7 with shipping

Q1 – NPN transistor, general purpose, 2N4401
R1 – Resistor, 52K ohms, 1/4 watt
C1 – Electrolytic Capacitor, 100 uF, 35 volt
D1, D2, D3 – Diode, 1N4005, 1A, 600V

The time delay can be adjusted by selection of the capacitor and resistor values. The resistor’s value is also a function of the relay coil’s current draw and the transistors gain rating.

borland 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention, the delay is for 6 seconds with the above listed components.  That should cover most engine cranking situations.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic