icon

are bass expanders worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have amazing bass coming through my Orion 12's and DLS a3. I listed to rap mostly, and yes, there are songs that hit a hell of a lot harder than others, but I want to bring deeper base to those that don't hit so hard
I am considering a bass expander, possibly the Hitron HB-2, Absolute DBM700, Boss BG100, Power Acoustik BASS10, and Boss BG200, I was looking at the cheaper end of sonicelectronics.com's merchandise, (do not reccomend online to me, as I am currently in a heated battle with them over something they "lost on their docks", and did not ship after 3 weeks, then shipped the next day after I told them to cancel my order 3 in 3 phone conversations and 2 e-mails, the rat mustards...lol, and I was a preferred customer,(who should have got same day shipping, they claimed they shipped it, but 7 days after my order was placed))
I already have a Kicker EQ, but am rather disappointed in it, It is good for the highs, but the sub controls could use some re-engineering.
What I am looking for is opinions of people who have bass expanders in general, preferably anyone with those models listed, but I also want general opinions of thse with any model bass expander, and which you might recomend. Also, with an expander, should I leave it going through the EQ for that 12db boost, or just run the expander?
Brain
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have the Audio Control Epicenter Concert series.
All i gotta say is. . . Meh.
Its limited in use introduces hella distortion, and its just a toy. I have it relayed so I bypass it altogether most of the time.
I use it mainly with band type of music, which has absolutely NO BASS, to show off a little bit.
If you're serious about it get the HItron one
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
bigbeast wrote:
I was looking at the cheaper end of sonicelectronics.com's merchandise,
just remember, you get what you pay for and if a high dollar audio control piece gets lack luster reviews then just imagine what a "cheap" unit will do. it might make your subs louder, but the distortion coming from it might blow your subs at the same time. louder is only good if your equipment can handle the extra stress.
dfguero 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with soundnsecurity. I live in West Texas, and I'm of Mexican heritage, so when I listen to Norteño music, Banda (Band), Mariachi, Corridos, or any other low bass music, I wish there was more there.
My buddy has a SoundStream BX-10. He is one of those idiots that wants the loudest he can possibly get, so he always has it all the way up on his BX-10. It sounds TERRIBLE on ANY heavy bass music. I've toyed around with it, and if you even barely touch the knob with heavy bass music, it automatically distorts. Now, on really low bass music, it does wonders, but he exaggerates it to the point that he's blown about 8 pairs of Alpine R's since he got it. And considering it's been only about 8 months since he got it, that's a lot of subs. I'm surprised his amp is still going.
Basically, if you have low bass music, invest in one. If you wanna just get louder rap, rock, hip-hip, etc., don't even bother.
That is, unless you want to use it as a line driver. Most of them up your voltage to 13V or more.
Pioneer DEH200UB
Single Pioneer GM-D7500M
Single Pioneer Premier TS-W1008D4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic