icon

sunroof control without module

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
micrors4racer 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S with an alarm and power locks that I installed back in the summer with the help of people here like howie, i am an idiot, t&t, and others I might have forgotten.
My cars always had a non-operational sunroof and I just got it working today. I am selling the car soon so no point in buying more alarm stuff to wireup, but would like to experiment with relays.
I have 2 spare out puts in my alarm, the trunk and a dedicated aux.
Would it be possible to open the sunroof and close it with the remote and as a plus; have it close automatically when I arm the car?
I included a wiring diagram from my service manual in hopes of helping me better.
sunroof control without module -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Yes with two 2 SPCO (5 terminal relays), though it would be simpler and safer (thermal end stop cut outs to use a 529t
micrors4racer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Yes with two 2 SPCO (5 terminal relays), though it would be simpler and safer (thermal end stop cut outs to use a 529t
Is a SPCO the same as a SPDT relay? What would the wiring be like? And what is a thermal end stop? I always wondered if the motor keeps rotating when the sunroof fully closes or opens and just doesn't make any noises because it can no longer move or is this a function of the "thermal end stop" that disables the motor once the sunroof reaches fully closed or open.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. The two wires going down to your motor are not too surprisingly the motor wires. They both sit on ground till the switch is activated then one will go live to close, the second will go live to open.
This is how it's done.
Take two aux outputs from your alarm, set one for 8 secs. timed Wire as follow.
12volt constant, 20amps fused to 86 and 87, cut closing motor wire, switch side to 87a and motor side to 30. Wire from alarm to 85
Take 2nd aux, leave as pulsed.
Use same 12v+ constant, wire again to 86 and 87, cut opening motor wire,switch side to 87a and motor side to 30.
Alternative. Take the alarm's GWA wire (aka neg armed output, orange on DEI product) and wire in a 528t timer wired as the closing relay set to 8 secs. This will automatically close your roof every time.
Down side:- If your roof is already closed, your motor will still be trying to close the roof. This will a) damage your motor, b) possibly damage your battery. A dedicated module is preferred because these have thermal "load sensors" and will cut out if the roof is already closed.
Having stated that I once used relays and timers to affect window closers on a customer's car because I had no modules and I never heard any more so it must have been alright.
micrors4racer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have an scyteck alarm, but I think it follows DEI wiring. WHITE/ red aux 2 is neg output and gray is aux 1 neg output. Wire up these to the 85 of either of the relays?
This setup will give me control of the sunroof but not automatic close unless I have the 528T timer?
Also I don't have an 8 second timer on the aux's just 10 second, latched, and momentary.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yes to 85, use the momentary for the motor line that goes to 12v+ on opening to vent the roof and use the 10sec aux to close the roof. Just remember what I said about running on he motor so monitor it from a half closed roof, be prepared to shut off that timed output. You won't need a 528t, it's safer NOT to have it closed automatically in case the roof is already closed.
Also don't forget, a couple of 1N4004 diodes placed across 85 and 86 of each relay to protect your alarm, diode bands towards 86, solder them to base of the terminals.
micrors4racer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
Alright thanks! What im wondering is how does the motor know when to stop right now in the stock setup? When it reaches fully closed or open I cant hear the motor anymore, is it because theres a saftey or is that just the motor being forced to stop mechanically bcause it can no long move the sunroof panel.
EDIT: why does it need a diode? Haven't seen this in normal relay uses.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2010 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Assume the first case and hope for the second!!!
The only way to tell would be to place a meter capable of showing 20amps in the fuse line to see if it was still drawing juice after closing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic