icon

infinity kappa speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rolgnav 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I'm running 4 Infinity Kappa speakers (2 6x9, 2 6x8) to one amp which has two channels. The amp is 2ohm stable. Each of the Kappa speakers are supposedly 2Ohm, yet their descriptions say...
Taken from Infinity's own descriptions:
"True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit."
My issue is that these speakers cut out at high volumes. I've read from the manual and from online that this most likely due to resistance issues (Ohms). I have two speakers set up in series on each channel. This, as I calculated should be 4ohms on each channel. Which should work perfectly... but it doesn't. I haven't tried putting the speakers in parrallel yet because of course if I put two 2ohm speakers in parallel that would make it 1ohm and my amp is rated at 2ohm stable.... Unless those darn Kappa speakers are 4ohm as said in it's statement above. Then that would have meant that I was running the speakers at 8 ohms (each channel), now would/could that cause the speakers to cut in/out at high volumes? Plus that also means I can parallel them and still be ok because 4ohm x 2 in parallel would be 2ohm. Right?
Oh, and when it says 2 ohm stable, does that mean 2 ohm total (both channels) or 2 ohm each channel?
Thanks in advance!
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Part numbers are a good thing to reference here......  would like to pull some info all all the pieces.  You can get an approximation of voice coil impedance by using a multimeter and check pure resistivity of the coil.  Most all speakers measure just a little less than what they are rated in pure resistance......  4 ohms is usually about 3.2 to 3.5  and 8 ohms is about 6.5 to 7.2.  This will give you an idea of what you are really working with.  If you have any speakers kicking around just try measuring them to give you a ballpark of what to look for.

Next....  why things cut out.....  Dont forget to think about the parts in the series.......  Deck, small signal out......  Amp, small to larger signal  ......  and finaly the load.

Is the amp maybe getting to large of a signal for its input.  Long ago decks did 2v Peak to Peak......  at some point they got larger say 4v Peak to Peak......  and now not sure if they have gone higher in amplitude.  Your amp may just not be liking the size of the input regardless of gain on the amp.  Not sure as I dont know what parts you have and you may be mating old with new or Vice Versa.......

Gain on the AMP.......  where is it at.  Mine are set to Nominal right now as I dont have a Port O scope to look at clipping either out of my deck or output of amp.  As they say around here...  the gain control is not a volume control.  You are trying to match the deck and amp.

Visual signs......  does the amp do anything when it cuts out......  Does a light go on or any other type of indication.

Process of elimination.......  if you can get your hands on any other speakers that you know are just 4 ohms, put them in a small box or enclosure of some type.  Disconnect all of your current speakers....  wire the two new ones up in say the trunk........  just for a test......  and turn it up.

If it cuts out still......  I would say you need to look real hard at the amp or the signal being driven into it........

Hope it works out.......

rolgnav 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Here are the parts:
Infinity Kappa 692.9I (2)
Infinity Kappa 682.9cf (2)
Lanzar MNX250 Amplifier
Kenwood KDC-HD545U Head Unit
The amp link I provided is a newer 2010 model, I have a slightly older model, but almost the same specs.
I'm using a low line rca input, the head unit has 3 rca outs.
Gain was tested in all settings, including minimal.
I did try just one speaker at a time, on one channel. Didn't cut out.
So I am pretty sure it's load. I'm also pretty sure the amp just isn't very good quality.
I'm going to get a new amp, and will update after I try that. Thanks again!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic