delay startup circuit or device

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crankycowboy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The connection intended for amp turn on, does it turn on at the correct time, meaning if I get it to power your amp up, do you still need the delay?  This will be a simple one transistor fix.  Just as the instructions you got from your original attempt.  Transistor is available at Radio Shack.  I am on a different computer and wil have to search this site for a diagram, give me a minute.

Yes, the amp turn on lead, works as it's supposed to in terms of timing. Unfortunately, when I connect a load to it, the voltage drops substantially and won't trigger my amps. If you have a solution, I would be GREATLY appreciative!

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Tip3055 transistor availabe from radio shack.  Output of your amp remote terminal of your carPC to the base (left leg) of the transistor.  Constant 12 volt feed to the collector (center leg, or the metal tab of the transistor)  Connect the remote terminals of the amps to the emitter (right leg) of the transistor.

The metal tab of the transistor will have 12 volts on it.  You must insulate it somehow.  A piece of 3/8 inch heat shrink tubing will slide over it and keep it from touching anything.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Simple NPN relay drive circuit:

delay startup circuit or device - Page 2 -- posted image.

If you are going to use a resistor on the base I would use a 470 instead of a 10K.  It is not required but recomended.

The common contact on the relay (pin 30) would connect to 12vdc and the NO output (pin 87) would be your output.

Kevin Pierson
crankycowboy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Simple NPN relay drive circuit:

delay startup circuit or device - Page 2 -- posted image.

If you are going to use a resistor on the base I would use a 470 instead of a 10K.  It is not required but recomended.

The common contact on the relay (pin 30) would connect to 12vdc and the NO output (pin 87) would be your output.

Thanks Kevin. I am about to make my ignorance very apparent here.  I'm really not good at reading schematics. Do you mind giving a brief explanation in laymans (dumb ***) terms? Once again I apologize for being a pain...I just want to make sure I understand completely. Thanks again.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2010 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
If you connect up an ammeter from your 12V supply to your remote turn on input of your Rockford amp, what do you measure?
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

What PSU on earth cant pull in a relay at 12v?

Either something is wrong with the way you measure the voltage or the PSU is not your solution and you need to follow the posts from oldspark and howie II on the first page.

No offense but I think you need an all-n-one solution to your problem. (I would) Buy the dei part or any relay with variable timing and skip the psu all together.

I know just enough to be dangerous. VERY dangerous.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic