icon

alarm draining my battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
choleaoum 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I installed my alarm awhile back fairly new to the whole mobile electronic scene. Anyways, I have everything wired up correctly I believe, the constant 12v is wired up to my ignition etc. I used my multimeter to make sure it's right.
I haven't been driving my car in about two weeks, and the alarm has drained my battery. Car starts fine when jumped, alarm works fine, everything works fine but if I don't drive it within two weeks the battery will die. The battery is also fairly new as well.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of alarm and what kind of car?

The most common mistake is to connect the starter kill relay to constant 12vdc instead of ignition power.

If this isn't your problem then you'll need to use am ammeter and determine how much current the car is using when everything is off (standby current).  You can then isolate circuits until the current draw is below 50mA.

Kevin Pierson
choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

What kind of alarm and what kind of car?

The most common mistake is to connect the starter kill relay to constant 12vdc instead of ignition power.

If this isn't your problem then you'll need to use am ammeter and determine how much current the car is using when everything is off (standby current).  You can then isolate circuits until the current draw is below 50mA.

Sounds like what I did.. LOL!! Thank you so much, you've been really helpful! That would explain why my starter kill relay didn't work. I had my alarm armed, and I was still able to start the car up.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, if you had it wired directly you won't be able to start with the system armed! Also it would result in your flat battery when you have the car parked and the alarm armed over extended periods as you did!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry but what color is the starter kill wire usually?
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

choleaoum wrote:
I'm sorry but what color is the starter kill wire usually?

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.html

choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I ment on the alarm brain, I have a clifford 50.5x (g35 sedan 03). I read the manual I think it's purple I have to double check it's
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on how old your car battery is.. if you did not start your car or charge your battery in two weeks.. the battery may not hold a charge over time. And I am gonna guess it has nothing to do with the alarm. It draws minimal current. Test your battery several hours after the car sits and see what the volt meter reads..if the battery is more than 3 yrs old.. that might be the problem. Just a thought.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
"The alarm has drained my car battery" urban myth is as old as "blame the last person who worked on the car" alarm draining my battery? -- posted image.   We STILL don't know what car this is and frankly leaving it standing for two weeks will kill the battery on almost any modern car. The alarm's LED is enough or maybe a stuck or incorrectly wired relay or amp.
Green wire goes to the key side starter wire, purple (violet) to the starter side.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Not familiar with that unit, but if the relay is an onboard one, and the system is arming and disarming normally, then it's highly unlikely the starter kill is connected to a constant instead of an ignition source!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic