icon

tweeters keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
technut74 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
my tweeters keep blowing, I can not turn my volume up too loud or i will lose my tweeters. Can I hook up my tweeters in series to raise the ohm level, which will send less power to tweeters? If so, would i need to put bass blockers on each tweeter or just one inline at the beginning?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
First off, listing the rest of your system would be a good idea, along with the make and model of the tweeters.  How are they powered?  What kind of crossover are you using with them? 
Support the12volt.com
technut74 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
the rest of my system does not matter, MY tweeters are 02 audio 50 watt rms 4 ohms each. I have two of those, and two bullet tweeters 100 watt rms, they say both 4 and 8 ohms. I have a MTX elite 404 powering them. No active crossover, just the inline passive crossover
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
If you are using in-line passive crossovers that were provided with the tweeters then most likely you have the gain improperly set on your amplifier.  Please read the forum rules concerning posting your vehicle and equipment list when you are posting questions. 
Support the12volt.com
technut74 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Can I hook up my tweeters in series to raise the ohm level, which will send less power to tweeters? If so, would i need to put bass blockers on each tweeter or just one inline at the beginning?
DYohn 
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you connect the tweeters in series the crossover will no longer function at the proper frequency.  How is your amplifier gain set and what is driving it?
Support the12volt.com
technut74 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
my amp is a mtx 404 elite series, the gain is set at 1/4 level...I feel that it is already kinda low. It is driving 1 8" seleium woofer and 1 6" seleium woofer, both speakers are 8 ohms and 1 O2 audio tweeter per channel. the amp is a four channel bridged to 2 channel. Should I get an amp just for the tweeters? Please help
technut74 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
also this amp does not have a variable crossover. It only has the option to be set at 85hz high pass or 85hz low pass. i was told that this is the wrong amp for the tweeters. what do you think?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Are they OZ or O2?
See, you should've mentioned the Seleniums from the start.
It's the rules here.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
technut74 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
they are 02's...o two
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic