97 avalon single connecter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manotickmike 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hello!

I'm attempting an install in Father in law's 97 Avalon.

All the diagrams I've found indicate 2 connecters, and a blue / YELLOW +12v wire.

This car has a single connecter (single DIN AM/FM cassette, with a cubby below) and no Blue / YELLOW to be found, so the archives are of little help.

It's a Canadian car, although I don't think that makes any difference, as it was manufactured in Kentucky, along with all the other Avalons.

Help would sure be appreciated, as it's all apart in the driveway...97 avalon single connecter - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks!!

Mike.

manotickmike 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

The plot thickens!

I put the factory radio back in, and.... No power. It says "anti theft" on the cassette door, so I go to the owners manual... Apparently, a code needs to be set for that function, don't think it ever was, but either way I get no display on the radio prompting me to enter a code when I press the buttons indicated to enter a code.. Fuse is OK, and the lighter (same circuit) works.

The music from "The Twilight Zone" plays in my head.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
If you can't find the code in any of the cars paperwork, call your local Toyota dealership, transfer to Parts (it may be Service), and ask them for the code! You'll probably want the stereo in hand so they can get the #s off of it.
Oh, yeah... What you should try is to match up the wires you DO have and go from there.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
darksidecelica 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Are you using a wiring harness? If the factory radio has a single connector then you need the amp integration harness for your vehicle, Metra 70-8113 I think. 2 connectors and you would use the 70-1761. Also you should consider picking up a cheapo dmm to test the fuses. In my short time installing I came across at least 3 fuses that "looked" good but didnt register continuity on the dmm

manotickmike 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Dang.

Since it's not an XLS like my wife's, and only 4 speakers I didn't think about an amp. Might explain why I couldn't pull more than part of a volt from any of the wires in the harness. 97 avalon single connecter - Last Post -- posted image.

Anyone able to offer any clues or a link to a page that'll have info about this amp? I'd rather bypass it and run with the head unit power at this point, ASSuming I don't have to dissemble the whole car to find it.. Hopefully there's the 12v, switched 12v, and speaker conections there that I need.

Hopefully the speaker are 4 ohm, if not, I really have my work cut out for me.

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have a diagram for 1997 but I'm pretty sure 1998 is the same
1998 Toyota Avalon radio diagram

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic