icon

mid bass speakers off rear hu channels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diskdrivex 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
so as a professional installer i would probably never recommend this, but just for the hell of it.
i have a wrangler, currently have the four main speakers on an amp, and some tweeters running off the head unit, so i have the rear channel of the head unit available. what are your thoughts on running some mid bass speakers off the rear?
i can get some kicker comp 8"s or the cvt 6.5" that have an rms rating of 100 and 150 respectively.
the other question is regarding my amps. i have a 650 mono and a 400 4ch, running on 4 awg, i was tossing around the idea of upping to 1/0 but i think that might be a lil overkill, so i was thinking (as it would be cheaper) running a second 4awg line and ground. the MECP side of me says no, but then again i dont see what it could hurt as long as i did it right.
so part of me is actually thinking of doing this, but mostly im just curious even if i didnt do it.
so just a curiosity for discussion, any thoughts, opinions, or experiences?
thanks
Brandon
MECP Basic, Best Buy
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
The rational side of me says no. You definitely need a complete makeover.
But, what you want to hear is; Heck yea! You get a discount and everything!
LoL
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
You're not likely pulling any more power with your gear than the 4 ga. can handle, so I don't see the point in either scenario.  And no, the deck shouldn't power a pair of speakers.  It shouldn't even be powering a pair of tweeters...don't you have an amplifier for that purpose?  If you don't have proper component speaker systems with crossovers that supply full range sound, spend your money on upgrades in that dept instead of adding more speakers to use that wee bit of deck power.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
diskdrivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
my front speakers are 4x6 polk and the tweeters are the kicker ks, so they have their own crossover, and when i hooked them up i didnt fully understand ohms law and the fact that 4 channels are 2ohm stable, so i thought i would be hogging juice from my 4x6s. thankfully i am now MECP certified and know better, but i am still too lazy to go rewire it. i figured with tweets hu vs amp wouldnt make a whole lot of difference anyway.
and i would think the same as what you said, but my old boss had the kicker 550 watt 3 channel powering 2 infinity by-9s and 2 kicker cvrs, and 8awg was more than enough for 550 but 4awg made a huge difference. so i dunno, again my knowledge says no but experience makes me wanna say yes.
and as far as the mid bass, i have an L7 12 in the back, but because its a jeep so much of the sound is lost. i was thinking of putting something on the rear wheel wells aiming forward. i suppose i could add a set of 6x9s in boxes to the rear channels of the amp, but its an mtx 4 channel and i have had those overheat with 6 speakers on them (wait thats why i put the tweets on the hu)
i guess i could put the 4x6s on the hu too and run 4 rears off the amp, i dont really have room for another amp.
i know i sound like some 16 year old (im 24 and married) but anyone thats driven a jeep down the road with no top or doors knows where im coming from wanting more speakers, and anyone thats married knows where im coming from for trying to save money.
having the doors off what the whole reason i added the tweeters and the did exactly what i hoped for, but once i get goin 45 i cant hear any bass.
diskdrivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
has anyone had experience with Buttkickers? i could see this being really awesome or some craptacular "as seen on tv" bullcrap
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully the 4ga quality is good.... If so, than you do not have a demand that warrants a greater size cable. All my past personal systems have been right in that range(1kw-1.4kw) just so I did not have to go to the extreme with everything. A 150a ANL at the battery, 4ga big 3, 4ga to rear...easy!
As far as the source's power... I cant see the advantage of double dipping like that. Even a good factory system reverts to external amplification.... Besides, each frequency level(Hi,mid,lo..etc..) should play a major part in a good system. Bringing in a midbass on pretend power wont help the band any..
This is what I do for FUN!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Your single run of 4g is fine, at least until you upgrade your amps.
Invest your time/ money in fewer, high(er) quality speakers -and plenty of clean power.
Have the 4channel powering the front and rear speakers, with the appropriate channels of the amp, for now. At least until you can get some better speakers up front (speaker pods, maybe?).
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
diskdrivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i think im going to get some 6x9 boxes for the rear wheel wells. i can run those and the 6.5 infinity components in the sound bar off the rear channels of the amp, and leave the 4x6 on the front and the tweets on the HU.
i can get the boxes for under $20, and kicker KS 6x9s for $45. so at $65 i think this is my best option for now,
my backup plan is to put the 6x9 on the rear of the HU if the amp overheats.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2010 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
Circumstantially, I'd probably try the same thing. If it works, its a score.... Always worth a try!
This is what I do for FUN!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic