icon

05 durango and xk03

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
05durango 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have an 05 Dodge Durango, no transponder key, just the plain key, and installed a Commando KE-30 with a xpresskit XK03 bypass. I am only doing keyless entry (after resoldering the battery clips on the factory key fobs a couple times, they don't work anymore). I attached a schematic of how I did the wiring. Since there is no remote starter, I had to improvise some of the connections. The problem is that the XK03 will not program when I start the engine. The LED stays on. There is no MUX (2nd Start) that I can find, and for the activation input (GWR) I have tried both the run-Start and Off-Run-Start. Any suggestions on how to get the XK03 to talk to the car? 05 durango and xk03 -- posted image.
Joe
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I see a couple of potential things here:
1. The activation input only wants to see a ground when a remote starter is engaged. Since you said you have only an alarm and no remote starter, the activation input should not be needed.
I would take that brown activation wire and disconnect it from everything.
If the brown wire "thinks" the remote starter is activated, the module probably won't go into programming.
2. The 2004-up Durango does have a MUX wire. However, I think that with no remote start being installed, you probably don't need it....try programming without it.
If you do end up needing it to get into programming, the MUX wire is in the plug that goes to the ignition switch....it's roughly under where the turn signal lever is (on the driver's side of the steering column.)
You can just barely kinda see the lower edge of the ignition plug even with the steering column cover in place...you may or may not want to remove the cover to make access easier.
The plug should have blue/red (constant) pink/white (ignition) yellow (starter) PURPLE / orange (ground) and PURPLE / black (mux).
NOTE: There is another PURPLE / black wire running all the way down the steering column, but it is NOT the correct wire. The real MUX wire exits the ignition switch, and then runs upward somewhere else in the steering column.
3. Did I just say that the starter wire in the car is yellow? OK, maybe it's pink/blue like your guide says....I forget.
Anyway, if you do connect the XK03's pink wire to anything in the car, make sure it's a starter wire by testing it.
-------------
IN SUMMARY:
The brown wire is not supposed to see ground unless a remote starter (which you don't have) is turned on. And when the module "thinks" the remote starter is on, you probably won't be able to program it.
Therefore, I'd start with #1 and cut that brown wire.
#s 2 and 3 above are part of a properly installed remote starter system, but my guess is that neither connection will be necessary in your case.
It's slightly possible that #3 (the XK03's starter input) is required for programming.
05durango 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestions. Before I posted this tried everything, checked everything, and still no luck. I even got another XK03 in case it wasn't programmed.
Based on your suggestion, I disconnected the brown wire (activation input), and it still did not program.
I checked again, and there is no purple /brown, but there is a violet/tan wire. I have the factory wiring diagrams, and its a key sense wire, not a MUX. The factory wiring diagrams do not even list purple as a possible wire color. There is a violet/brown switch MUX, but its to the switches on the steering wheel, so it does not go to the ignition harness.
I have verified that the pink wire goes to the starter.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Joe
05durango 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Has anyone used an XK03 in a Chrysler? Is there anyway to trouble shoot this?
Joe
05durango 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Based on the lack of replies, it seems that the XK03 is not compatible with the 2nd Gen Durango. Does anyone know of a box that really does work?
My concern is that the CAN bus has both a + and - wire, but the XK03 only ties into the +. Does anyone know if that could be the problem? Is the - only a ground?
Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
05durango wrote:
Based on the lack of replies, it seems that the XK03 is not compatible with the 2nd Gen Durango. Does anyone know of a box that really does work?
My concern is that the CAN bus has both a + and - wire, but the XK03 only ties into the +. Does anyone know if that could be the problem? Is the - only a ground?
Any help would be appreciated.
I think you've found your problem. (-) on a data bus typically is not ground.
Am I reading your intention right, your factory key fobs don't work anymore so your installing a remote start/keyless entry with a bypass module to mate up with your dodge just to get the keyless entry part? Wouldn't it be easier to just get a replacement transmitter and have it programmed?
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  

For what reason are you using any bypass module for on this vehicle?

Not necessary ----even for remote start

unlock, lock-- PURPLE / brown at fuse box   2 relays, 2 resistors.

domelight wire-- yellow/orange (+)

what else do you need to know?

i have never needed any modules for this vehicle. I have not done a 2010 or newer yet so cant comment on those Durangos.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  

i would just use 2 relays and the resistors if you are looking for the keyless entry.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
05durango 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply's. Yes, I am trying to use an aftermarket keyless entry because the factory FOBs kept breaking, and I soldered them too many times and they don't work any more. Me and my sons seem to be too rough for them to handle. And the aftermarket keyless entry, if it works, would cost less for two FOBs than one OEM FOB. My Durango has 110k miles, and we use it for backcountry travel, so I don't want to have expensive FOBs getting lost in rivers or falling down cliffs, etc.
As for directly controlling the door locks, I will give it a try. But according to other posts, and the service manual, (even without the transponder key) there is still factory security that will be activated if the doors are not unlocked properly. I should be able to do this this afternoon, so I will report back if it works.
Thanks everyone for you help.
Joe
05durango 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I gave up on the XK03, and as you guys suggested used two relays so the keyless remote is in parallel with the driver's side switch. It works fine, and there is no security system problem.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Joe
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic