icon

what will be louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, just get some more 12's! Why would you want redo it all when you can get louder by doing a few, simple things?
Get some that perform well in small, sealed boxes (I assume your boxes are sealed..?).
Stuff the boxes with polyfil.
Be done with it, unless you want to give them some more power... :)
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Now, if you want to do something completely different you could try 4 18's in a big ported box or something.
Either way, if you want to get significantly louder, you're going to have to model something up in WinISD at least...
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
lilcubano86 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Lanarian first off i had two 12 L7s that on 1! jl 1000.1 in a ported box and that was every bit comparable to my friends 2 jl 13's on a matts 3500.05 and sorry to say i don't care how you have 2 13's set up it will not even come close to 8 12's i don't care if they are k-mart 12's with wal-mart amps!! ive already blown my windshield practically out of the car. this car has a total of 64 speakers 8 12's and the rest mids highs and drivers!! now running off 9 amps soon to be 12! Ne ways its a walled off tunnel if you can imagine 3 inches in the roof from the top of the rear glass straight down, Dual 250 amp alternator set up, 5 batteries 8 12 earthquakes the one with the red center basically a red dust cap that says earthquake with a black surround running off 2 clarion 1550 - 2 ohm stable amps. Its a MUST for me to re do my box due to it getting wet and swollen. so i don't know if i should buy 8 12's and sell my 10 10's since i have to re-do my box anyway i thought 10 10's would be cool i heard my boys truck with 8 ten inch CVX's and it was naaaaaasty so i don't know what the hell to do?????? i just want it to be louder than it is and i know the 10 10's will crush the 8 12's i have now but say 8 new cvx 12's running 2 matts 3500.05's or 10 10's running off 2 matts 3000.1's?????
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well see there we go. You are talking (8) 12s vs. (10) 10s of the same sub now and more power to the 12s as well. Not the old subs and amps that we know nothing about. With the increased cone area of the (8) 12s over the (10) 10s, even if under the same power you would see an increase in DB's in favor of the 12s. Not a real hear-able difference, but there would be one. Since you would also be increasing power for the 12s it would be louder for sure, but that is IF comparing apple to apple in optimal enclosures. This now comes down to enclosure volume and placement. If you have enough space available for the 12s I would go that route. Remember too that kicker subs love airspace. It is ALWAYS better to have say (2) 10s in an optimal enclosure over (2) 12s in an enclosure that is too small. Then the (2) 10s would win.
Now you have a good theoretical answer. Its now time for you to do a little homework of your own on available space to work with and begin planning stages for what is going to work best. Not only for airspace, but in design for the sound wave path for tune as well as the design for less chance of cancellation. Then we will have an even better understanding of what would be better.
what will be louder? - Page 2 -- posted image.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2010 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
lilcubano86- I am sorry to hear about your JL13 buddy. You obviously misunderstand a concept I am trying to convey. Your multiple speaker giddy-ups are destined for just show or say so. I am not a JL fan, but I have heard the best of em, and yet I have to sit here and say "Zapco cube, JLW13". Properly prepared interior! My single cerwin vega vmax12 in a custom ported box gets up to the same SPL as both my DAT D312's in a custom sealed box. Same amp, same vehicle.(different impedance's on amp, overpowering both set-ups)
NEWS FLASH!
You have not the room in your vehicle to optimize the SPL of that many subs. So now, your down to only looks...or to say you got that ma....wait! I already said this...
Brass tax- If you cant make 2-15's in your trunk satisfy your lust.... Let me say it another way, After you add more than 4 12's in your trunk, the enclosure size that you will be working with will begin to decrease each subs potential. At that point, 2-15's will get a higher, louder and lower overall sound experience in your ride.(all comparisons based on quality in reference to total $dollar$ value spent)
This is what I do for FUN!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2010 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
Surely you are not suggesting he'd be wasting his time?
I thought that was to be avoided.
t+36:15 (based on Zulu UCT+10; sync forthcoming stratum-2; 29/4 19:24Z)
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, heck no, I am only here to argue that brands and quantities are irrelevant. People think they have bass with a prefab box and type R's..... oohh ... that gets my goat!     what will be louder? - Page 2 -- posted image.
This is what I do for FUN!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
both setups have the potential to get louder than each other but 8 12's seems like the better option because, you can get closer to a good airspace for each one, you dont need as much amp, and you have slightly more cone area
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic