icon

alpine pdx 4.100 bridged

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all...  did a search before asking here but I need some help.

I have searched forums on the web and also read the manual like 3 times......  but the manual just sucks for the ......  this is what you need to do to bridge this amp type of instructions.

I will just be wiring a couple of focal 165 V1's up to the PDX aiming for 200 watts per channel.  I know that Haem is running a PDX 4.150 to a couple of adairs this way, so hoping he can help.

Here is one of the forums and the answers are all over the place.....  Like if you paint a barn with purple spots, you dont always get peanut butter all over the place.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio-sq-forum/15193-bridging-alpine-pdx-4-100-a.html     As mentioned, no real opinion I can place 100% trust in.

3 main questions.......

1.  What speaker wire goes where......  (I will guess this.......  (Term #1  +L   Term #2  -L)  (Term #3  +R   Term#4  -R))  Should these be reversed,

2.  The manual mentions Y cables from both RIGHT and LEFT so all 4 inputs are driven.  Is this really needed.......??

3.  When the above are satisfied......  what position should the input channel selector switch on the amp be in........  ??

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/PDX-4.100%20OM.PDF

Hope I have included enough info.......

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2010 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
I agree... The manual for the PDX amps suck.
Yes, you are correct. To bridge, channel one and channel three positive terminals are the speaker positive. Channels two and four negative terminals are speaker negative.
According to the manual, you must also use RCA "Y" cables, to drive both channels. 1/2 and 3/4. This makes no sense to me, as you can run all four channels with only two RCA outputs from the deck, by setting the input switch to 1/2. I am using the 1/2 switch setting and only two inputs (the two top ones) with perfect results.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2010 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
Is this not due to the switching of the input jacks when changing from 4ch to bridged stereo(2ch)....? That has to be the reason 4ch amps label their inputs 1,2,3,4 nowadays...
CHECK THIS-->
4ch mode---(1&3=L,2&4=R)-#1-Input/terminal always Front Left...#2 Input/terminal always FR....#3 is RL and #4 is RR ALWAYS..
Bridged mode (L=1&2, R=3&4)...YES all four rca inputs have to be connected.... HERE is where you need Y adapters. Front becomes Left and the Rear becomes right... Think-your bridging L+R of the front, so both inputs need to be connected, the amp has to be utilizing 3/4 input selection.
This is what I do for FUN!
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2010 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
I don't disagree with your assessment, however, if you can use a switch, in this case indicating that amplifier channels 3 and 4 are accepting signal input from input jacks labeled 1 and 2, and the manual even SAYS that this switch is provided for JUST such a purpose, WHY THEN can you not use those inputs in a bridged configuration? What does Alpine feel is different in bridged mode? It very obviously simply drives the input stages of 3 and 4 in parallel with 1 and 2, right? This is exactly the same thing as using external "Y" adapters, except one less physical connection...
If the input signal to channels 3 and 4 are the same as 1 and 2, and you can drive those channels in stereo mode WITHOUT any "Y" adapters, there should be no reason to have to use any adapters for bridged mode. Yes? This is my confusion. I cannot see that I am wrong here, as I am running perfectly fine with this very configuration... Maybe a call to Alpine is in order...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2010 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

OK, thanks to both of you for your replies........  This is what I am going to do.........

Wire up speakers per directions

Put the RCA appropriately on 1 and 2 inputs red and white

Set switch to 1/2 so that what is driven into 1 and 2 is mirror copied over to 3 and 4.......  as mentioned in manual is states this eliminates the need for a Y adapter

End of day.......  by having a speaker wire on 1+ and 3- this doubles the difference of potential possible and makes the 200 watts available to that channel.

Wow, I don’t think I have ever seen more confusion over something that is so simply done by so many other manufacturers.

ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2010 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Oh 1&3? I have not looked at the manual yet... It all makes sense if it bridges to 1&3....no wait a minute, CR@P lemme take a look:
Input Channel Selector Switch
a) Setting this switch to “1 + 3/ 2 + 4” will sum
the CH-1 and CH-3 input and send it to
CH-3 while the CH-2 and CH-4 inputs are
summed and sent to CH-4.
WTH? Dammit, I wont waste any more time thinkin bout this....Anyone call?   I wanna know whatkindafuggindoodieisthis.
haemphyst 
Posted: May 04, 2010 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I hope you mis-typed... 1 and 3 are positive! 2 and 4 are negative...
You typed 1 + and 3 -... Check that!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2010 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I hope you mis-typed... 1 and 3 are positive! 2 and 4 are negative...
You typed 1 + and 3 -... Check that!
Haem: is it safe to say that bridging has to go through a 2ch L/R output?   His mis-type is indicating that he is bridging 2ch, its just that they are both technically receiving L input only.
haemphyst 
Posted: May 05, 2010 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
It doesn't matter which channels get the input signal, really, as long as they both get a signal. The PAIRS are the important function here. 1/2 are a bridgeable pair, and 3/4 are a bridgeable pair. Yes, there must be a two channel output to bridge, but they have to be an allowed bridgeable pair.
With the switch set to 1/2, you are already "turning the amp stereo", I guess you could say. The colors on the RCA jacks are really only there to help the installer know the signal paths. They're reference only.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2010 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

I was lost, but now I am .........  well.........

Here is the deal ACCORDING TO ALPINE........  and it may seem to be simply some of the points that you guys have already stated..........

I was F'ed up on the whole wiring of the speakers....  I get it now.  Someone dropped the idea in my head that when you approach bridging of this amp.......  Just think of it as Qty 2.......  two channel amps.  Bridge 1 and 2 by choosing + of chan 1 and neg of chan 2.......  and the same goes for 3 and 4.  Just like Haem tried to clear me up on.

Next.....  again according to alpine.........  switch position.

A......  is used for making this a bridged subwoofer amplifier ONLY.....  no fade and no stereo

B....  is used for a for regular ol 4 doors 4 speakers  each chan gets 100 watts etc.....  AND.........  BRIDGED MODE STEREO.....  Eg...  1 and 2 LEFT  3 and 4 RIGHT

C.......  is used when you want to run 4 doors 4 speakers  and only have 2 RCA's out of the deck and DONT want to use a splitter.

Next.... ALPINE SAYS YOU HAVE TO USE Y SPLITTERS IN EXAMPLE B FOR BRIDGED MODE STEREO.

I thank you both for working with me here......  and driving me to a final answer.  I hope this info adds to or ????'s what you may have currently have set up for a second look.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic