icon

complete new system your thoughts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2010 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, long time since I was on here last and even longer since I posted. Facing a dilema...hope you can help!
I have all of this equipment sitting in my living room and I'm not sure which of it to use in my vehicle....
Heres what I have for placement locations in the car. Which is a Holden Commodore 2000 (Think Pontiac G8...just older)
Front - 6" in door with factory tweeter in dash at base of window
Rear door - 6"
Parcel Shelf - 6x9" pre cut holes
Now, heres what I have regarding equipment.... and it is a bit of a list.
Clarion DPX 1851 850wrms @ 2ohm (two of these)
Clarion PXW1552 750wrms 4ohm DVC (two of these, no box yet.)
Now, here is the components I have!
Clarion SCM-300 3 way components comprising of 6 3/4 woofer, 5 1/4 mid and 1.25" tweeter. In my last setup I had actually substituted the 5 1/4 for a Polk MM 4" driver from their split set. These use a Bi-Amped 3 way passive Xover
Polk Audio EX2560 6.5" Components 80wrms
Polk Audio EX602 6.5" Tri-Axials 60wrms
Audio Bank GCS 6.4 6.5" Components 65wrms (Two Pairs)
Linear Series LS938 6x9" 150wrms Tri-axials
Amps...
Pioneer GM-4000F 4x50wrms
Audio Strada 2x100wrms
Audio Bank 2x80Wrms
Clarion 400.2 2x100
I'm not opposed to mixing and matching woofers, tweeters or Xovers either.... Which brings me to current thoughts... But I do want to stick with factory locations and use either the same size speaker or smaller...
Fronts...
I have two thoughts on this one.
1, Use the Polk Audio splits
2, Use the Clarion 5 1/4 midrange and perhaps the polk tweeter and Xover.
Use either the Clarion 2x100 or the Audio Strade 2x100
HPF of about 180-200Hz
Rears...
I think my best bet is to stick with the Polk Audio 6.5 Tri-Axials here and run them from the Audiobank 2x80
HPF of about 180-200
But I could also use the Audiobank GCS6.4 and flush mount a tweeter
Parcel shelf...now here is my dilema. Since I have 6" up front and 15 in the boot I'm going to have work hard on bring up my midbass. The parcel shelf will work well for this as I figure whatever I use will need to be bandpassed at about 80Hz upto about 200Hz. I can easily put a small enclosure by using a pair of spacers on top of the parcel shelf and a pair underneath with a solid peice on the very bottom to seal it off from the trunk..... So, do I use 6x9s or the Clarion 6 3/4 midbass driver? The amp will be whichever 2x100 I don't use on the fronts.
Subs - Well, my choice is not easy their either...Just because I have two 15's with enough power for both of them does not mean I have to use both of them right? So considering my current plans...
2x15 Sealed
2x15 Vented
1x15 Sealed
1x15Vented
Am I overcooking it? or not enough? I listen to so many varied types of music it's crazy. I do like good quality sound, I do like to have the volume up loud and sometimes, I really like to bump the bass hard. Don't worry, I have not forgotten sound deadening....
Basically seeking some input here....I'm all confuzzled on which way to turn and was hoping you guys offer some input. Perhaps I should drop the rear doors altogether? But I do have kids in their from time to time and I don't want them to complain about it being unbalanced....trust me, they will if they can't hear the treble.
My legs are closed and my ears are open!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
In general, purchase the head unit that has the features you need and that you find easiest to use, and purchase the best speakers you can afford that you like the sound of the most.  Use the best quality amps you can afford and don't obsess over the power ratings.  As far as using rear door speakers, if you have frequent passengers in the rear then sure, slap some coax's back there.  But IMO keep them in the doors and not in the parcel shelf.
Support the12volt.com
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
i realise that but this is equipment i have had at home for the last 10 years...so am not going to spend anymore except for the headunit. htanks anyway mate

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic