select sq components 6.5

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hello 12volt!
I would really like some help selecting a set of 6 1/2" components for my Jeep. I've used the search function but couldn't find much useful info, and as usual there are too many pairs to choose from. Here is a little about my preferences and my project:
-2 channels with sub, not interested in rear speakers
-Jeep Grand Cherokee with 6 1/2" doors and dashboard tweeter
-not adverse to relocating tweeters or going with a 2-way coaxial setup instead
-350w transmission line subwoofer ( build thread here)
-emphasis on sound quality at reasonable volume
-many years experience in recording studios and high-end home theater
-budget is somewhere under $200, the car is not worth enough to spend lots
Ideally passive crossovers, factory component sets or hand selected parts. Current model years are alright, but I would prefer something a few years older with a strong reputation. The plan is to power these with either a 2 or 4 channel amp @ 50-100w per channel, with a 1/3 octave equalizer tuned with TrueRTA.
After doing some research tonight, the best I can come up with is MB Quart Premium PVI216 6.5" from amazon.com for $127. However, further reading shows these are not the same as the trusty Quarts from older years.
Thanks everyone!
-J
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
The best answer is to go shopping and find a set you really like before you purchase anything, but in general I tend to like the sound of Infinity, Boston and JL Audio in the sub-200 dollar category.  MB Quart has been owned by Maxxsonics for a while and their quality is not the same as it once was.
Support the12volt.com
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks DYohn.
The project has scaled up a bit. I am now replacing the head unit with an Eclipse CD7200 mkII, and using an Alpine PDX-5 to run the transmission line along with the components up front. I plan no speakers in the rear, and actively control tweeters and mid-bass in the front for 4 channels.
As such, speaker selection budget is increased to roughly $400'ish. If I can save a few bucks by buying raw components and not purchasing passive crossovers, all the better. I have listened to a set of JL Audio C5-650's, and they are nice. The bass was muddy, but I blame the speaker wall they were installed in.
If there is another thread or resource for component sets in this price range, I am happy to read, but could not find one.
Thanks all!
-J
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic