max gain, low output at 2 ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
ianarian, what in the world are you talking about?
wow, i missed a lot. i just read the last two posts and it seems this topic ended up somewhere waaaaayyyyyy far from where it started. I thought this was about low power output. Now the conversations is about RTA's and 30-band EQ's?
Anyways, going back to topic:
a line driver would help only if your amplifiers need to have a strong signal (3 volts RMS or more). Is the operation GAIN range at least 1 volt RMS?
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Dyohn: Thanks for asking!
This problem in question would benefit from any form of enhancement to the signal. Best option would be a 3-way electronic x/o. 2nd to that, a preamp. A line driver would be the last consideration.    
Best of the best systems do not happen with a deck-amp-speaker "club trio" configuration.

I feel like a salesman...
This is what I do for FUN!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
This problem in question would benefit from any form of enhancement to the signal. Best option would be a 3-way electronic x/o. 2nd to that, a preamp. A line driver would be the last consideration.    
Best of the best systems do not happen with a deck-amp-speaker "club trio" configuration. 

I beg to differ.  The best of the best would involve as little signal processing as possible.  Adding a crossover or a line driver will not necessarily do anything to improve the sound quality, and in general a line driver will always make a system more noisy.  Adding a "preamp" is the exact same thing as adding a line driver - a line driver IS a preamp.  Please give me an example of what you mean by "preamp."

Support the12volt.com
manooti 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for everyones input on this. i couldnt get anything done yet because of financial strain. my cousins father told me to teach his son how to drive stick so now im without a clutch. he wont even pay for it. anyway, about 2 weeks ill probably have money to get a line driver and see how it is.
the amps are now at full gain with the bass boost up almost half way. no distortion is heard but it still not enough power. if i put the gain at 1/2 way and bass boost max the subs dont even move. reverse polarities still nothing. it has to be the amps needing more input voltage. damn sonys :(
if the line driver dont cut it or gives out too much distortion i guess its time for new amps. ill keep you guys posted though.
manooti 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
DYohn wrote:
Dyohn: Thanks for asking!

I feel like a salesman...
didnt see your post till now. which would be the midrange performance, not too expensive with minimal clipping?
and any links to these devices? thanks
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
K.I.S.S. = Keep it Simple Stupid.
EVERY and I mean EVERY electronic component WILL add to the Total Harmonic Distortion. It may be a small amount, but EVERY component that you add to the signal path WILL modify the signal.
So for every additional component that you consider adding you have to look at the trade off and decide if its worth installing it.
Stop confusing the poor guy.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
EH EM.... Sorry fellas, vacation in Hawaii....Aloha!
Dyohn: by preamp I mean: a 1/2 din module usually containing Vol./Fad./Sub Level/and typically a few different frequency level controls.
Boats, motorcycles and trail rated, off road vehicles are instances that I will happily agree to possibly not needing signal control-(.)(.)      
Icearrow: +0.003% THD worthy of mention? Who is confusing who?
I need a recap!
The issue at hand is balancing between high and low levels correct? What is powering the high's? ______ Are the speakers stock by chance?
In the event that you feel the sudden urge to rid the amps, DIBS!
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
I'm 100% with David and Icearrow 6.
"Best of the best systems do not happen with a deck-amp-speaker "club trio" configuration."
This is just a flat out false statement.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
"This is just a flat out false statement."
Flat-out? Straight past good ol false, right into the abyss.
Ok, well it is difficult to argue with logic like that. First thing that comes to mind is some verbal insults, next may be a decision if its worth a response. Ah, what the heck,--Let me tell ya like this here:
Bring your unprocessed signal to a official SQ competition...Good Luck!   
I'll bow down and call you master if you produce some proof from a RTA that you are balanced on 30 frequencies without a processor.
Give me names and model numbers of XO's, preamps and line drivers or any other respectable signal controlling device that you have personally added to a system and found out it just ruined the whole thing.(Bass Enhancers not included)
Truth is, you have no footwork here to refer to in the matter. Have you been studying the concept for years taking opinions and suggestions on the issue?
I dont know where you go to listen to systems competing to be the best. Next time you are there, take a count of how many people there are controlling their signal.
Next time you want to play judge about my theories, you had better knock it over with a little bit of proof! You may disagree, but give a reason. I am not here to state just my opinion, I either know or at least have reason to believe what I say.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2010 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
There is more to SQ than being "balanced on 30 frequencies."  What people are telling you is things like line drivers and EQ and DSP and "pre amps" can and will add noise to your signal and degrade the quality significantly.  This is a fact,.  If you use high quality gear, you can and should EQ for SQ comp, but it isn't going to be clean with most commercial gear and certainly not with the "$100" level gear you are advocating.  Adding processors for the sake of having one is a bad idea and will likely lead to crap sound.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic