icon

sound cuts out when bass hits low, hard

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

I have an eclipse head unit, an Infinity 1600a rockin' one 12"  JL w3v2, an Autotek 490.4 ss runnin' two Boston sp75 4 x 6's and some Cadence components 5 1/4's with 1" dome all crammed in a single cab 2000 s-10. It relly sounds amazing... I put A LOT of time and work into building the perfect box ( I built 3 before I got what I wanted). .... that's why it's driving me crazy every time a good low bass groove hits (ya know one that just about vibrates the sideview mirrors off) all sound ceases ! No amps going into protection....the lights on the deck never cot out, only the sound....all of it... and just for a second then it's back on....till another low bass run. I've checked the grounds, the power to the battery, fuses, ect.... I've read somewhere that you shouldn't run your amp remote off the head unit....could this be a problem ???? Any help is greatly, GREATLY apreciated !

mdlwate357 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
one more thing ..... when it "cuts out" it sounds as if the cd just skipped, but it didn't. I know hard bass will cause a cd player to skip, but trust me it's not skipping. Thanks !
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

When the music comes back on, do both amps begin playing at the same time, or does one come back a touch before the other?

mdlwate357 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'll have to pay close attention and see for sure, but like I said...it sounds just like when the cd skips, but it does it while listening to fm radio too. What exactly are you getting at ??? If one does cut one first what would that mean ????
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

If one is coming on before the other, I would have to believe that the amps are losing remote or power briefly.  If they both come on at the same exact time, I would have to believe that the deck itself may be the problem.

With the music playing, temporarily disconnect the remote wire from the radio.  Then reattach it, chances are your amps are not going to come on at the same exact time. 

mastermindz 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
My cousin had the same problem in his extended cab chevy, u need to brace your deck better, the vibration is causing a skip, have u tried playing from a different source like an mp3 see if it skips then
Mastermindz
smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Being that it does it ton FM as well, I'd say you have a short somewhere or the amps aren't getting enough power.
mdlwate357 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

GREAT INFO GUYS !!!! I'm about to do a complete rewire ....I put the system in in pieces (deck one day, amp & 4x6's a week or so later, amp & sub then recently 6.5 components) and would pull the wires through the same place under the carpet over the other ones and maybe somthing pulled out or came loose. I'm also thinking that maybe that since the low frequency causes a a wider wave vibration, it could be moving wires behind the deck enough to touch somthing and ground out. So I bought a 100' roll of Monster 16 g speaker wire and I'm bout to go at it with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for all the feedback.... I'll let you all know what I find.

thagreatone76 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like your speakers are wired at too low an ohm load for the amp to handle and the amp is shutting down on a hard bass note to keep from damaging its self or the subs.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Re-wires suck, I had to do my power wire recently, made me feel noobish. I upgraded amps making it necessary, but still, its a RE-do. Yet, I support the action to the fullest extent! Hope it works for ya man.. At the very least, it cant hurt.... Unless you screw up in the process, haha. Take your time, work professionally, best of luck always.
This is what I do for FUN!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic