icon

running 3 dvc 10's and amps going nuts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smudjs2000 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
First off hello everyone (and hopefully i posted this topic in the right place!!) I'm currently connecting 3 10 inch Kicker CompVR's (dvc) to my 1200.1 Kicker amp I wired the subs according to the sub woofer wiring diagram ((Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel )) and when i hook it up to the amp it plays fine but when i put it up the amp cuts off (but it doesn't turn off) then it comes back than cuts off... So I got a ZX1000.1 laying around and i figure maybe because this amp is stable at 2 ohms it'll work (the 12000.1 is stable at 1ohm) but it does the same thing... I had my 1200.1 pushing a jl w3 15 4ohm and that thing was pounding with no cap or additional battery. Is my problem the wiring or electrical?? thanks guys..
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
what is the impedance on those voice coils? 2 ohm or 4 ohm? you should be running dual 4 ohm if anything and if this is the case you probably have some sort of a grounding issue with your amp. try running a ground cable from the amp to the ground at the battery. If the problems stops you know you gotta get a better ground somewhere other than where u have it grounded now.
there can be only one.......
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Imperdance too low, gain too high, system voltage dropping too low...
Support the12volt.com
smudjs2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
yeah sry they are dual 4 ohms.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
You have it wired like this?
running 3 dvc 10's and amps going nuts? -- posted image.
smudjs2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
yep thats the diagram i used to wire the subs yea... what confuses me is that i had the same amp pushing one jl 15 w3 and it never cut off like that than again maybe during this install im not sure if i grounded it in the same place?? idk Im Lost....
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, check your system voltage and set your gain properly.  If you don't know how to do this please read the thread in the Hot Topics forum.  Yes, you could also have a bad ground and Hot Topics has instructions on how to check that too. 
Support the12volt.com
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
please measure the ACTUAL ohms using a DMM.
measure each coil, and the TOTAL.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Im with both Ice and DYohn. I would check ohm using a meter to ensure correct ohm load. I know on the L5s and L7s the coils are separated by a simple dot system on the pos/neg of one coil. Ensure you have it wired right. It's not hard to make a mistake.
Bad ground, gain being set too high and voltage drop would be also likly culprits. Read the "How to set gain" sticky in Hot topics as well as the ground sticky Dyohn talked about. While you have the meter out for measuring your actual ohm load. Checking the ground resistance and voltage can also be tested.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
Im with both Ice and DYohn. I would check ohm using a meter to ensure correct ohm load. I know on the L5s and L7s the coils are separated by a simple dot system on the pos/neg of one coil. Ensure you have it wired right. It's not hard to make a mistake.
Bad ground, gain being set too high and voltage drop would be also likly culprits. Read the "How to set gain" sticky in Hot topics as well as the ground sticky Dyohn talked about. While you have the meter out for measuring your actual ohm load. Checking the ground resistance and voltage can also be tested.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic