icon

wattage to drive 2 12 kickers solobarics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rt jam 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Had a Cadence 2 channel amp. Bridged to run my 2  12's.

This was in a Mustang with deck power driving the other speakers. To balance the system I had to run the Cadence at about 1/3 of gain. The RCA connections were broken and would sometimes kickout when the car hit bumps in the road. Had it repaired and now transfered this to another car.

In the other car, a 00 Buick Park Avenue. I'm using a Rockford Fosgate P400/4 to drive the speaker. 5 1/2" doors, tweets and 6x9's. Its'a 50x4

The bass is all the same stuff from the Mustang but I have to run the gains all the way up and I still feel like it's missing power compared to before.

I know nothing about wattage and dbs but if I had to desribe it. Before the bass would blur my vision and I'd find it hard to breathe. So I'm shopping for another amp to replace the Cadence. Every store is asking me how many watts do I need?

topperz7 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

is it the same head unit? your faced with a problem that many installers and shops deal with. Used equipment transfer. "This sounded better in my other car" .

Find a local, reputable stereo shop and ask them to take a look at your car and ask for their analysis. Most shops will check it out for you for free, hoping that you will do business with them.

rt jam 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

The problem is the only shop I really trust does not sell the brand of amplifiers I like. Hands are kind of tied there.

As for the head unit. Both high end Kenwoods and actually the better  sounding one that was in the first car was an older 2v output Kenwood with only 2 pairs of preouts. The Kenwood I have now is a 4v triple preout.

Basically I think my Cadence amplifier is not working properly. It's like it's missing half it's power. When something is not working at all, it's very easy to diagnois.

paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm wondering if they screwed up the polarity on the subs when they moved them into the new car...    That sure would put a damper on things
cd shawn 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Had similar problem changed my phase on my sub amp and blowed away!! err'thang was workin'
My president is black,my old car was blue,I'm broke azz hell,how about you?
rt jam 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

Luckily for me, the Kenwood head can switch the polarity of the subs in the "sound menu".

I wired this myself and know the polarity is correct but just for entertainment purposes I tried the sub polarity reverse. It did loose some thump.

I made a recent discovery since I wrote this thread. My 2 woofers are working and sound the same but when checking the ohms. I get 2 different readings. One a steady 8.0 ohms, just like it should. The other is 92 ohms. Hopefully the mods do not delete this thread for duplication since it is related to my other thread.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic