icon

power lock/keyless entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerotwo 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed power door locks and an Avital 2101L keyless entry system in my 1976 BMW 2002.  The power locks work just fine when operated manually with the key.  However when I hook up the H1/5 and H1/8 outputs of the 2101L (which are the outputs the instructions said to use) to the appropriate wires of the power lock harness, the remote does not  trigger the locks.  When I press either the lock or unlock buttons of the remote, I can hear the relay of the 2101 click but that's it.  Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.  If I've omitted any pertinent information, my apologies as I'm new to this forum.  Just let me know if you need any additional info. 
topperz7 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
you need to connect the violet and violet/black fused wires to chassis ground
zerotwo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  I did try connecting the violet/black (H1/7) and violet (H1/9) in place of H1/5 and H1/8 to the door lock harness but that had no effect, the remotes would still not activate the locks.  Are you sayng literally to connect them to ground?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
I would have thought that since there were never factory locks in a 2002, we have after markets. If turning the key in the driver's door locks/unlocks all the doors, there has to be an existing aftermarket relay controlling them. It's probably grey or light blue and it should use brown and purple trigger wires BUT YOU have to test and verify. In theory grounding that brown or purple should activate the locks, if that works ground the purple and PURPLE / black.
zerotwo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
I did just install some aftermarket locks which do have a light blue relay.  Yes, grounding the the brown and purple wires in the power lock harness does lock and unlock the doors.  As I said, in the instructions I received, it said to hookup the H1/5 (GREEN/ black) and the H1/8 (blue/black) wires of the remote harness to the brown and purple wires of the lock harness which is what I did.  Just so I understand what you are saying, do I leave those wires hooked up as they are and ground the purple and PURPLE / black wires?  I want to be absolutely sure as I don't want to fry anything.  Thanks for your help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
yes!
zerotwo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I feel like a total idiot in that I think in my haste to resolve this problem on my own, I trashed the power lock relay (MEK 98031).  Now, grounding the brown and purple wires does not lock or unlock the doors as it did before.  Unfortunately, I need this fixed asap and don't have time to order another MEK relay.  Is there a way of using standard relays in place of the MEK?  I looked at the relay section on this forum and there does appear to be a way to use standard relays but I'm unsure and before I bugger something else up, I thought I'd ask the pros.  Sorry to be a bother, I'm usually more competent than this.  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yes if your 2101L has a 6 wire lock output go back to the instructions and rewire the unit as in "add actuators". You will lose the ability to lock/unlock from the front door(s) with the key.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Your best bet would be to get another relay and try again. You CAN'T use ordinary relays in their place unless you have a timer circuit shutting down their power after 2 seconds. Otherwise flat battery.
zerotwo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Howie II and Topperz7 for your very competent assistance.  It turned the relay was not bad after all and with connecting the violet & violet/black wires to ground, everything seems to be working properly now.  I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic