icon

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Battery Drain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
himynameisdrew 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

Please inform me if there is a more appropriate forum for this.

My father recently picked up a 2007 dodge ram, 3500 cummins, crew cab.  If it sits for 3 days or so it will be completely dead.  He just replaced both batteries, but still having the problem.

We traced the drain down to the 20 amp fuse #11 which is labeled (IOD-CCN/RADIO/UNDHOOD LMP/WCM/SDARS/HFM)

We can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary, we could use some help.  Anyone have experience with this or have any methods of tracing it further?

A wiring diagram might be useful too.

Thanks!

anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Drew,

I see this all the time in vehicle forums and occassionally here. Firstly, is this an automatic or a manual?

It could be the "Wireless Control Module" and it could be that your batteries arent really going dead at all.

The next time this bugger wont start, disconnect the battery posts and after a minute connect them again, try to restart.

This is due to a poorly grounded module and is subject to static electrity. If we determine this to be the case then we can help you experiement with proper grounding of that unit.

It also might be that "if you shut it down and pull the key when it is not fully in park, it errors the WCM and it won't restart"

If we determine that it is NOT the WCM and they dont sucker you in to buying a replacement, try this:

1) REALLY search for anything that is not factory stock, this means radio, amps, alarm, running lights, 12v sockets, LED thingymaboppers . . . anything.

(whatever you find UNplug the pwr to it)

2) if you have a VM you can measure the current across the fuse leads. Assuming it isnt more than your VM is rated for it shouldnt hurt anything.

3) search the Dodge forums and try to obtain a FSM for your truck, and read through the wiring diagrams for what is downline of that fuse and the wire colors.

(a handy Dodge machanic may just set you straight if you're lucky)

SUBJECT:

No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if
equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also
referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the
remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an
electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module
(WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup.
This condition may occur more
frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is
NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 04, 2008
more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.
Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight also.

Happy Hunting!

I know just enough to be dangerous. VERY dangerous.
himynameisdrew 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
This is a manual. Sorry I left that out.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into these suggestions & let you know what we find.
himynameisdrew 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your info.  It is a manual tansmission and the batteries are going dead because the dome light gets real dim when I open the door.  I think it has something to do with the remote key.  From an older post I learned you may have to manually lock the doors.  I took all the battery cables off, put a 6 amp charger on the cables and the meter on my charger showes about a 3 amp draw.  When I played with my remote key lock the drain went down to less than 1 amp and it drops from 3 amp to 1 amp slowly over a second or two.  There still is a slight drain, but not enough to drain the batteries in three days like before.  However, I still am experiencing an occasional 3 amp drain and I hit the remote, unplug the #11 fuse and then plug it back in and that seems to solve the problem momentarily.  Would like to solve this problem.

Drew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic