icon

2003 dodge ram 1500 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to install a remote start on a 2003 Dodge ram 1500. I have a thick (about 10 guage) wire in the IGN harness that is red with a white stripe. The wire is not testing any voltage, negative or positive. This is the same whether the ign is off, in run, or if the starter is cranking. Any ideas? All the wiring diagrams say I should have a RED / white 12v wire AND a RED / white ign3 wire. I found a thinner wire, about 16guage that is 12v all the time. So what is this 10 guage wire supposed to be???
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
The RED / white 10 ga is a +12v supply to the ignition switch, it supplys power to the 10 ga DB (dark blue) wire coming from the ignition switch when the key is in the run/acc position. If you don't have voltage to it then fuse 9 in the integrated power module is blown or your trucks trim package doesn't make use of it.
There is a red (16 ga) and a RED / white (14 ga) +12v supply to the switch. There is also a RED / white (16 ga) that is hot in the off/run/start position as well.
Hopes this helps, I know all the RED / whites are confusing but I believe that was dodge's intention for someone messing with the ignition wiring.
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I checked all the fuses and none are blown. However, the blue wire is hot when the key is in the run position even though I'm not reading any voltage on the thick RED / white wire. I'm also reading an orange and a green wire as hot when the key is on, but no voltage when the key is off.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
This is the wiring diagram for the ignition switch. There are two DB (dark blue) wires listed, one 10 ga and the other is 16 ga. Does your truck have power windows? I believe the RED / white 10 ga and DB 10 ga are for power windows and the like.
2003 dodge ram 1500 remote start -- posted image.
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
No power windows, no power locks. V6 engine.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well that explains your 10 ga RED / white, it's not used on your truck.
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I got it done. I didn't connect that RED / white to anything. The tach learning is a PITA on Dodges. I finally got it all done though. Thanks for the info. 2003 dodge ram 1500 remote start -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic