icon

crossovers or caps for stock stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cvame 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,  Im starting a build in the wifes car. Her stock speakers are blown because the kids listen to rap/hip-hop loud and they want a lot of boom, so they put the bass all the way up.      Im installing some infinity 5x7's now, and amp&subs later.    What type / frequency of caps can i use to keep the kids from blowing  the new speakers  till i can afford a good amp & subs?  Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2010 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you vada_808.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Resistors.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

No.

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
I thought series resistors to limit output power?? (Rather than roll off?)
I learned recently that increasing output impedance did not cause amps to overheat... (LOL!!! A great lesson - taught by a pro!)
But I am assuming excessive power/drive is the problem.   
And that a fire isn't.
Ooops again?
Sorry cvame - ignore my reply.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
A resistor will cut the power.  The problem with a resistor is the heat that it will have to dissapate in order to limit the power to the speaker.  It will get hot, really hot.  As you stated, it could get fire hot
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2010 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Here's what you do:  install the new speakers and tell the kids that if they blow the new ones out before you can add more gear, that you will see that the perp never gets the key to your cars again.  Ever.  So take it easy with that volume knob, kids.

Kids... !

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

I am an old school installer. I say, do it right the first time. But since you are not going to then you should purchase 100uf capacitors. Capacitors limit  the frequency. Otherwise called BassBlockers.

Most capacitors are directional. Just install them inline at the positive of each speaker lead as close to the speaker as possible.

NEVER use resistors. This will change the impedance and cause your finals in your radio to get damaged

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
Interesting....
topinstaller200 wrote:
NEVER use resistors. This will change the impedance and cause your finals in your radio to get damaged
That's what I thought until corrected a while ago.
AFAIK, I was wrong - increased speaker impedance will NOT cause output damage (ie, overheating). I then realised I was thinking of old school amps, transmitters etc.
What type of amplifiers are damaged?
topinstaller200 wrote:
Most capacitors are directional. Just install them inline at the positive of each speaker lead as close to the speaker as possible
An audio (speaker) inline capacitor should be non-directional (DC biasing excluded).
If using electrolytics (eh, 100uF), then bipolars should be used.
Or am I misunderstanding and showing my age yet again? (Especially since I like Steve's answer best!!?)
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.

@ stevdart - you hit the nail on the head, lol.

The wifes car is a 2002 ford windstar with stock stereo, and now has infinity 5x7 2ways.  I went to the local stereo shop and they told me to put these little 'bass blockers" on the positive wire to each. they have these numbers on them - " A66, 66MFD, 100WV"  and "NP 85C B12".   Are these the right things to use? 

I put them on two speakers and it took all the bass out, just mids & highs. Are they safe? I do not plan on ever putting an amp to these speakers,  just to the sub later.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic