icon

changing a double pulse to a single?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
khisanthax 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
I'm working on replicating what another member had done, which is to adapt a cell phone to trigger the start of a remote start.
I've got everything working but the only problem is that the phone always sends a double pulse and I need a single pulse to start the car, as it is it starts the car and immediately shuts it off.
I've been doing some reading on the forums and trying to make sense of the relay diagrams and what others have done. But still need some help.
The phone sends a double pulse of 1.5v (at 420ma I think) is there a way to install a capacitor on that 1.5v line to store both pulse and then release it to trigger the 1.5v solid state relay?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Can you not programme the R/S to accept a double pulse? You can do this with DEI product in fact their default is double pulse.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
khisanthax wrote:
I'm working on replicating what another member had done, which is to adapt a cell phone to trigger the start of a remote start.
I've got everything working but the only problem is that the phone always sends a double pulse and I need a single pulse to start the car, as it is it starts the car and immediately shuts it off.
I've been doing some reading on the forums and trying to make sense of the relay diagrams and what others have done. But still need some help.
The phone sends a double pulse of 1.5v (at 420ma I think) is there a way to install a capacitor on that 1.5v line to store both pulse and then release it to trigger the 1.5v solid state relay?
You can try using a capacitor and a resistor. The capacitor would be wired in parallel to the circuit (+ side of cap to your r/s trigger, - to ground) and the resistor would be wired between (in series) the cap and your remote start. The values of the resistor and cap would have to be played with a bit to see what works with your setup.
Other ways would be a jk flip-flop or the crude equivalent a latching relay setup.
khisanthax 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
i'm using two relays to get this working as is, does the cap neg have to go to the triggering wires ground or any negative wire?
how would I go about figuring what specs I need for the cap and resistor? is there a specific formulae?
I have a viper alarm and the install manual made no mention of changing the number of pulses, it only said to use a momentary switch to change the pulse ... which I did not understand ...
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Look in the programming sheet, it's the WHITE/ blue on the Viper although I'm sure the default is 2 pulses anyway.
khisanthax 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
then maybe the installer changed it, because as it is now it's one pulse. I've already connected the cell phone to the car, and with two pulses the car starts and then gets turned off immediately, which is also confirmed by my two way remote.
If it can be programmed or re-programmed to use two pulses i would have to use the two-way pager since I don't have a programming terminal, which for me might be too scary especially if I mistake what menu I'm supposed to be on and change a wrong value. But I'll look into it.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes there is a formula for RC circuits, for what you need this calculator will let you figure roughly what combo resistor/capacitor values you need. You want the time constant to be long enough that both pulses happen in that time frame, maybe even a little (second) longer to ensure the cap keeps the charge high enough to not pass the two pulses, just one long one.
khisanthax 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the link and the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that but would have most likely hit that bump in the road.
khisanthax 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
so, if i understand this correctly, the capacitor will store the two pulses of 1.5v over lets say 4 seconds and then discharge 1.5v to trigger the solid state relay?
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
That's the idea, actually though with the first pulse the relay will trigger and stay triggered until the capacitor discharges. The second pulse should come and recharge the capacitor before it discharges.
Your solid state relay is a PCB type deal? If so you could utilize a JK flip-flop to accomplish the goal if the cap-resistor fails you. The JK flip-flop is an IC that can toggle it's output between + and - every time a pulse is applied to it's clock input. In your case the first pulse would set the JK flip-flop + or - and the second would flip it.
So with your car phone remote start, you call your car to have it start? Who pays the phone bill, you or the car?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic