icon

5900 remote went retarded

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
apocalypsegz 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've had this 5900 SST In my vehicle for quite some time but Haven't really used it much cause of the battery life so I usually never used the remote. I go to use the remote now and all it does when I put the battery in is play the damn Beginning Jingle over and over again with each button press.
You put the battery in then the Song plays and stops and acts like normal except the screen only shows 1 or 2 things lit up. The battery meter keeps jumping around(each time i put the battery in it changes that is) a single line not full or half full but a one of the 3 lines will light up, either top middle or bottom. If I press a button after the music stops it plays the music again like I just put the battery back in. All the batteries are new, any ideas whats wrong with this?
apocalypsegz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
If its the remote if anyone has any Spare remotes fairly cheap let me know, I'm looking to either fix this or buy a new one, any help with broken ones or new ones would be helpful.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Are you able to open the remote?  Theres a screw under the battery door.  And two clips at the bottom of the remote hold the 2 halfs together.

I've fixed many, perhaps I can help you fix yours.

apocalypsegz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Mark Mizenko wrote:

Are you able to open the remote?  Theres a screw under the battery door.  And two clips at the bottom of the remote hold the 2 halfs together.

I've fixed many, perhaps I can help you fix yours.

Ya man thats what I did first and no damage at all from what I saw, every solder point looked unburnt and the LCD looks fine, if i slightly push on it the stuff shows up that is supposed to be behind when lit up. Its just glitchy, if ya got any way to help me Id gladly appreciate it. 80 is too steep for one of these imo
Mark Mizenko 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2010 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, we'll have to try/look at a couple of things.  With that secondary board (daughter board) REMOVED from the main board.. if you connect the battery, does it work differently?

powering up just that motherboard. with the battery connected..... if you press on the big square IC on the backside, does that do anything?

apocalypsegz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2010 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Mark Mizenko wrote:

Ok, we'll have to try/look at a couple of things.  With that secondary board (daughter board) REMOVED from the main board.. if you connect the battery, does it work differently?

powering up just that motherboard. with the battery connected..... if you press on the big square IC on the backside, does that do anything?

After looking at the IC I notice that one of its pin its Burned guessing thats the problem, its too small for me to fix, but looks like the big square chip on back is what needs fixed or replaced.
apocalypsegz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2010 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Also when I disconnect the DB from the MB It Just repeats the Logo without noise(of course cuz speakers on other board) but it just loops the start up stuff when u put the battery in. That chip has just 1 bad pin, dunno if it cooked to the chip or if its just needing resoldered. Damn this sucks but now I know what is screwed up. Unless you know of anything else that would have screwed up. Dunno how it happened tho like I said I carried the remote around but I havent had a battery in it for months.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

It's most likely water damage, there isnt enough voltage in there to be able to burn anything up.  I've seen water damage on those remotes many times.

I'd recommend a mini fiberglass brush, also called a prep pen for autobody.  It's a small magic marker sized brush that will twist out, and you can clean that bad pin up.  And maybe a few next to it??

You HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH THAT BRUSH!   The little glass fibers will wear/break/fall off.  Work carefully over a trash can.

Then you may have to resolder that (other) pins(?)  You can "reflow" the solder joints with a little hot air blower from a butane soldering iron.   Brush flux paste on the chip/pins and heat it up with the blower and the solder will reflow the connections.  You MAY need to touch a bit of solder to the nasty pin.

apocalypsegz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Mark Mizenko wrote:

It's most likely water damage, there isnt enough voltage in there to be able to burn anything up.  I've seen water damage on those remotes many times.

I'd recommend a mini fiberglass brush, also called a prep pen for autobody.  It's a small magic marker sized brush that will twist out, and you can clean that bad pin up.  And maybe a few next to it??

You HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH THAT BRUSH!   The little glass fibers will wear/break/fall off.  Work carefully over a trash can.

Then you may have to resolder that (other) pins(?)  You can "reflow" the solder joints with a little hot air blower from a butane soldering iron.   Brush flux paste on the chip/pins and heat it up with the blower and the solder will reflow the connections.  You MAY need to touch a bit of solder to the nasty pin.

I would have no idea how it got wet then theres no sign of ANY damage cept that pin being black, its way to small for me to mess with. What state you in and what would you charge?
Mark Mizenko 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

PA

And I would'nt charge you.

I suspect the water comes in thru the flimsy case.  Maybe the hole for the sonalert, the keychain swivel. the battery door.  I dunno,  but I've fixed alot of them with eitther water damage, or the pins that mate the 2 boards break loose from the solder points on the boards, and they don't transmit/receive.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic