the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

can i turn this ported prefab to sealed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bloob 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
History:
i got this prefab kicker box n sub new for 60$ about 2 years ago. recently, i started some remodeling work for a jl audio rep and i've literally been trading hours of work for the best jl equipment at like 30-40% of msrp.
this, of course, sparked my old car audio enthusiasm. when i have the money or connection, I am an audiophile.
What you're staring at is my 95 integra that i use as a work car, hauling all my tools around. so i need room and sound quality. (i'm gearing up to do sealed door pods in my door panels :D)
Currently/Problem:
kicker sub just cannot reproduce quality sound under 55 hz. sound just drops off drastically around there and it booms at 80-90 hz. this, I understand, is a symptom of slotted/ported boxes.
Question:
If I were to seal this box from the inside by placing a 3/4" piece of mdf and silicone-ing it to the hole, would I get more response/sound in the lower 55hz and under range?
I know the answer is theoretically "yes, as long as the total cu/ft is within specs for the sub", but this is a truck box basically, sitting in an open hatchback. Will I be happy I did this if I'm looking specifically for sound quality and tight clarity?
I'm sure there are a few installers familiar with this exact prefab kicker set-up. Thanks ahead of time for your opinion.
can i turn this ported prefab to sealed? -- posted image.
jl m600/6
lovely isnt she?
0 noise
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
The only person who knows if YOU will be happy is YOU.If it were me I would try your idea out and see how it sounds to YOU.Although if you built a box to the specs of your subs they would sound better and you could design the box to give you ample room for all of your storage needs.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
The kicker comp is a 12 right?
While sealing that port will "un focus" the energy at 80-90 range and provide a more FLAT bass response, I don' think thats exactly what you are after. In my opinion you will need a 1.5 F^3 box ported to about 45hz so you can get that low rumble you're looking for.
bloob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
the kicker is a 10" comp, sorry i didnt mention that.
i did cover/seal the outside of the port hole and it did provide a flatter bass response. "by the ear" it softened that 80-90hz "peak" and gave me a noticable +3-5db in the 50hz range.
after doing the calcs for the box, this premade is .55 cubic feet of interior room including the port slot volume. so now i'm probably starving the cone for interior air.
but.. sigh.. i badly need the trunk room to carry around tile saw and tool boxes. and i need the spare cause leaving my car on the side of the road with thousands in tools sitting in it is not an option if a tire goes.
so what to do? i guess convert a rear seat into a sub box.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
here is kicker tech specs:
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/Comp.pdf
there is a graph where it nicely shows the SQ box specs.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
bloob wrote:
the kicker is a 10" comp, sorry i didnt mention that.
i did cover/seal the outside of the port hole and it did provide a flatter bass response. "by the ear" it softened that 80-90hz "peak" and gave me a noticable +3-5db in the 50hz range.
after doing the calcs for the box, this premade is .55 cubic feet of interior room including the port slot volume. so now i'm probably starving the cone for interior air.
but.. sigh.. i badly need the trunk room to carry around tile saw and tool boxes. and i need the spare cause leaving my car on the side of the road with thousands in tools sitting in it is not an option if a tire goes.
so what to do? i guess convert a rear seat into a sub box.
or get a truck with a camper shell!!!!can i turn this ported prefab to sealed? -- posted image.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
bloob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
that's beautiful thanks. answered every question i needed to know. 2.4 cu/ft sealed is that subs future.
bloob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
spmpdr wrote:
or get a truck with a camper shell!!!!can i turn this ported prefab to sealed? -- posted image.
sound quality please! :p
oh, 30 mpg and can carry 9' long things.
car wins
bloob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
bassman2000 wrote:

The idea may work, but the sound may not be the best...I would check out Atrend, they are recommended by Kicker when you call and have some nice enclosures www.atrendusa.com

have you visited that website? send me a link where i can order something lol.
otherwise, let me tell you a little internet secret about car audio, never order soemthing you havent seen with your own eyes or heard with your own ears :)
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Get a luggage rack and throw you tools up there keep the whole trunk dedicated to whats important. Big BASS!

Just kidding

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic