icon

power wire turns black

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
In my main power wire setup, the 6 inch peice before the 200a fuse, turns black every few months, and i start loosing connectivity, and end up replacing it.
This happens about every three months.
I am running 2 Orion 12's powered by a DLS A3 True Twin Mono, bridged down to 1/2 ohm, which pumps out the maximum of 1200 watts. Also I have a kicker zx 280 ( I think, or something around that power rating, only using 1 set of channels, as the other set has noise) to power the rear 6x9's, and a Lanzar Vibe 800w powering the front 6.5's, 4x7's, and 1" tweets. I also have an upgraded alternator 190 amp, and have ugraded the big 3. The head unit is a Soundstream VIR-8004 (something like that), and the signals pass througha Kicker 7 EQ.
I am taking a wild guess that my 2ga main power wire might bee to small, but I have never encountered this problem before. This only happens to the 6" long peice, right at the connection to the 200a main fuse, is it the wire? do i need to add anothe run of 2 ga? or do I need a higher fuse? Or am i just starving for power, and need to hook up a 2nd battery? Would a capacitor help, I have never had any good results from a 1 farad cap, and the voltage on the dash tends to drop down to around 11v at maximum bump (I listen to rap) As far as the battery goes, it is not a red or yellow top or anything, but I did get the biggest normal battery that Autozone had. I still have the original battery that was in it, just sitting in the shed, it is still good and holds a charge, would I need to hook it up with an Isolator to solve the problem? please explain my options as detailed as possible, with wiring diagrams or descriprtion / pathways as best as possible please
Brain
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
Overheating, maybe due to too much current draw by the amp but could be due to a poor quality connection at the battery terminal.  How is it connected (what are you using for a terminal lug?)
Support the12volt.com
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

Change out the connection if possible a new post and/or top mount, refuse with a new power wire 12-18" inbetween, this will also allow flexibility in wire if location you were using is hotter than others, hope this helps.

Chadillac
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
uprade to 0/1g wire and call it a day
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

If only having a problem at the connection point.  There is a bad connection.  If the entire length of the wire is having the problem, then an upgraded wire may be in order.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

My guess would also be the kwality and not quality of the wire. Solder the end of the connections as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
topinstaller200 wrote:
uprade to 0/1g wire and call it a day
Except he means 1/0 (or 0g) power cable. There is no such thing as 0/1 cable.
This may or may NOT be your answer, though.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
its more than likely a loose connection at the battery side of the fuse block thats causing current to bottle-neck and make heat. solution, get a better fuse holder maybe one that takes a different type of fuse like an ANL or MAXI
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
He has a 200 amp fuse, I would have to guess it is an ANL fuse.  There is a bad connection at that fuse holder.  Resistance = heat.  If it is only getting hot there, and not the entire length of the wire, there is a bad connection at the point of the heat. 
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
well, the main power for the engine / starter / vehicle electronics, comes from the side post, I am using the top post solely to power the ANL 200 amp fuse, i replaced the 6 inches of wire with 2 peices of 6 inch wire, all I had on hand is 2 ga at the moment, so i put each peice to its own hole from the battery top, and both into the 0ga hole for th fuse holder. Tossing around the idea of going 0ga or just doubling the 2 ga run. any thoughts on a cap, or 2nd battery, and how hey might help.
Brain
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic