icon

voltage issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
My trucks voltage indicator keeps maxing out on me,by voltage indicator i mean the stock one located in the instrument panel of my dash on my 2003 dodge ram .It has never done this before up until now any one have any ideas of what it might be and how i can fix it ?
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Has anything been changed/or added to your vehicle, also have you recently had it serviced, new battery, etc..?
Chadillac
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Have you used a volt meter to verify that there is even a problem with the charging system?

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yes my entire audio system was redone over the last 2 months but it was completed about 2 weeks ago and the problem is just now occuring. No new battery or any kind of service recently done
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Have you used a volt meter to verify that there is even a problem with the charging system?

No i have not,what would be the best way to test my electrical system.It only happens now and then no pattern as of yet.Also does not do it on initial start up.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
A voltmeter across the battery (to check if battery overcharging) or across the alternator (to check if your electrics are being fried).
I'd suggest to check (undo & re-tighten) all heavy grounding points - ie alternator to bracket to engine to chassis/body, and to battery-.
If these are bad, the alternator can increase voltage to compensate (unless it's a single-wire D+ alternator... usually).
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, so I tested the battery with the truck running a it ran pretty stedy @ 13.9 volts ,this is normal corrrect? That is with the charging indicator reading normal,i will test next time indicator maxes out to see if there is a change in voltage.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
13.9 at the battery is fine. Typical range is up to 14.4V; 13.8V is an "ideal" long-term voltage with fully charged battery (aka float voltage - often used for 12V equipment ratings); and anything lower may still be charging but not ideal... (13.6V ok; under 13V bad....).
If your "charge indicator" (is that a voltmeter in the dash?) is maxing out (going high > 15V, 16V etc), it may be a faulty indicator...
...or there is a bad connection between the alternator and battery so that the alternator output increases to ensure the battery gets its 13.8-14.4 Volts.
The latter is bad - if the alternator goes to high (typically above 16V), various loads can fail (audio etc; electronics).
I'd check the ground paths. Or unbolt & remove, clean and reassemble. (Metal to metal contact isn't always clean with low resistance!)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic