monitoring battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hideo namigata 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Recently, I have replaced my alternater and wated to monitor that the alternator is working well and charging my bettery at its best condition.

To check, I am thnking of installing aftermarket Voltage meter directly connecting to Battery + with the use of  the relay and want ot double check if the wiring shown below is correct or not:

85 Acc wire(from radio)

86 Ground & Votage Meter (-)

87 Voltage Meter (+)    

30 Batter wire(fused 10A)     

Thank you in advance for your kind advise.                                                                                                                                        

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Normally #85 would be GND but that only matters if internal spike-suppression diodes are fitted, else for conventional reasons.
The #86 to accessories else to IGN if you want to monitor voltage whilst cranking (a good way of monitoring battery and starter condition).
#87 & #30 are fine,
The fuse can probably be much smaller (as long as it handles the meter's current - probably far less than 1A if electronic; micro-Amps if a meter). The fuse is to protect the wiring rather the the meter (since the meters usually can't be fuse protected).
If it's an analog meter (electro-mechanical - not lit nor electronic), you can probably leave it connected straight to the battery - they usually take less current than alternator "S" connections and battery self leakage, and far less than alarms and door remotes.   (In that case solder a (say) 1k resistor instead of a fuse - that's more reliable etc.)
hideo namigata 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

Oldspark, thank you for the comments.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Why use a relay? Just connect constant to ignition 1 (Doesn't dump whilst cranking) and cold to a good ground.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
You know Howard i was thinking the same thing! KISS! LOL!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
hideo namigata 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I maybe wrong but when monitoring battery, connecting DIRECTLT to battery + ? and if monitoring alternator then connet directly to the Alternater D+ ?. The difference between direct and indirect maybe very small but still you will have less resistance connceting directly to the battery.

So, it is all depneds on what do you wnat to monitor?,

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yes - directly to battery. (The voltmeter is a high-impedance device and takes very little current - often well under 1uA (micro-Amp), though digital meters required extra current to power themselves.)
Hence if a plain meter - don't use the relay; leave it permanently connected. Or if it consumes insignificant power (some LCD voltmeters consume less than a LED).
Monitoring should be done across the battery as the charging system is designed to provide maximum battery life - hence (usually) never more than 14.4V longterm and usually above 13.8V etc.
But monitoring can also be across the alternator to check its performance - ie, does it output voltages that may damage loads (which may not be detected at the battery due to alternator to battery voltage drop - especially during surges.)
Many vehicles have voltmeters across their ignition supply (gauges etc) which may be quite different to the battery (higher or lower)- especially when bad connections exist.
hideo namigata 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I have last thing to check before doing over the weekend.

The voltmeter that I have ordered is digital one without any wires. and My cars' battery is located in the trunk.

Should I use AWG 24 or AWG 18 between Battery(+) and Voltmeter ?

Thanks in advance

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Unless it is a powered device (ie, digital), the gauge won't matter. A hair will do fine (if it's one of those older silver ones - especially if gelled for insulation).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic