icon

toyota jbl system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  

My wife owns a 2002 Toyota Sienna with the JBL sound system. For my ear's it sucked from day one, but she doesn't jam like I do and was happy with it. Her front left door speaker recently blew and not wanting to disturb the boat too much I looked at dropping in an oem speaker, that is until Toyota told me that it would cost me nearly $300.00...FOR ONE SPEAKER!

I generally do my own installs; however, time is tight and so I thought that I would stimulate my local economy by visiting one of the local Car Stereo Shops. I was just looking to replace her front speakers with something of good quality that would allow her to once again, listen to her music at very low volumes. We decided on a pair of Fosgate's that fit the bill nicely and after haggling for a better price we set up an installation appointment. Soon after arriving home I got a call from the shop telling me that these speakers will not work with her JBL system. Their explanation was that the JBL system was a 1 Ohm system and the Fosgates were 4 Ohm speakers and would fry the head unit. I know that the OEM speakes are actually a 2.4 Ohm speaker (or something close to that) and so I can't for the life of me figure out how they could come to the conclusion that the JBL system is wired for 1 Ohm. I was told that we needed to gut the old system and buy a new one and so they immediately went into their sales pitch. I knew something was odd here and started calling other out of town shops and they never heard of this ever being an issue.

My question to you, "Are they right about the JBL System or am I being scammed into buying something that I do not need?"

Any suggestions with regards to speaker replacements that would basically drop in and improve the over all quality would be much appreicated.

Thank you in advance.

Razorbacx

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

If you know the original driver was a 2 ohm, there are several manufacturers that now make 2 ohm replacements.  Infinity is one that comes to mind.  Removing a 1 ohm driver and installing a 4 ohm driver will not blow anything, the 4 ohm driver will not be nearly as loud as the 1 ohm driver was, but it will not hurt anything.  Look into a set of 2 ohm speakers.

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Totally agree w above statement, to blow something it would be the opposite, dropping in 1 to 2ohm loads on lets say a headunit which rates at 4ohms per ch, that sucks that that shop missed out on a sale and also an install, might wouldnt go back there. Also look for replacements with a wider range of frequencys and higher sensitivity levels.
Chadillac

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic