ford expedition rear dvd issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdntblu 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have a problem I am trying to fix.
I have a 2003 Expedition with the sub and rear seat entertainment.
I replaced the head unit with a JVC KW-AVX820 and I bought 2 harnesses from crutchfield, one was to allow the sub to get power and hook up to the RCA Sub plug on the HU and the other was to retain the DVD player sound. The DVD player sound harness was a harness that I plugged in and it had 2 RCA jacks (R/L) and a red power lead to give the DVD player power.
So as it sits right now I have the following:
JVC KW-AVX820
Ford Rear DVD Player
Subwoofer
PAC Steering Wheel control (works fine)
IR Wireless Headphones
What I'm trying to do is get the wireless headphones to work. Before I changed out the HU you would press 2 & 4 on the HU to get them to be on and then you could choose a different source to be played on the front speakers. Basically if I put in a DVD in the back seat and set the JVC to AV-IN I hear the audio coming from all the speakers but the wireless headphones do not work.
This is what I would like to accomplish:
Get the wireless headphones to work which doesn't make sense because the DVD player playing and you would think the IR's would be sending the signal.
Also --
The rear DVD player has an Aux input (Video/Right/Left) and was wondering if it's possible to come out of the HU video out, and tap into the DVD player on the roof AUX video in so I could play a DVD up front and have it show in the back seat as well as play a separate DVD in the back. This way I can put in a DVD up front and control it myself instead of trying to let my young kids try and press play, etc. And then I can use the Dual Mode and change the front to a different source like iPod or Radio or something.
I'm sure all this is possible and it's probably been done before but I have no idea where to begin.
Thanks
Brad
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Visteon.

are there any wire slots that are empty in you harness but have wires on the factory side. I am guessing there are at least 2 maybe  4.

If so, those may be the wires to your IR's.

Also, you could open up the factory DVD and tap onto the A/V leads from behind and run to radio, Also catch A/V outputs from factory DVD and run to your A/V inputs for complete control of your system

mdntblu 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't tried very hard to figure it out. Just was hoping someone else has done this and can give me some tips.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I've done a bunch of these. The easiest way is as you stated, run RCA's up from the HU to the factory AUX inputs. To get the factory headphones to now work, you need to jump these wires at the overhead. Mobile Electronics Magazine put out an article a few years back showing the correct wiring and i can't seem to find it! I have a copy here somewhere i know....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic