mtx sub, kenwood excelon hu, kenwood amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swamanator 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Guys,
Im brand new with all this audio stuff in terms of knowledge...but i love music. I recently purchased a MTX Sub, Kenwood eXcelon HU, Kenwood Amp for my 2001 avalon xls and got it installed the other day. i however feel like i am not getting what i paid for in terms of output. it could be that i am not tuning my amp correctly or something else could be wrong. I put together a little info sheet about what i got and what i thought were the main points. If someone could guide me on how to tune my amplifier and what my setting should be (crossover, etc. ) that would be great.
Also the guys who installed everything for me said i could control everything that was on the back of my amp from my HU itself. is this true? in terms of gain, etc. Another thing ...how am i suppose to know how much RMS i am pushing out? I dont want to blow these brand new subs but i want them to bang!
Thanks.
::
Head Unit:
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794
Power Output:
Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels
RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels
Digital E's+ Crossover settings for front speakers, rear speakers, and subwoofer
3 Sets of 4V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)
(Built in crossover settings, with decibel curve, etc. )
Subwoofer:
MTX Audio TR5512X2D
Dual 12" Thunder Round Series Vented Loaded Enclosure
Power Handling:
Peak: 1600 watts
RMS: 800 watts
Impedance: 2 Ohms
Frequency response: 31-150 Hz
Sensitivity: 87 dB
Amplifier:
Kenwood KAC-9105D
Performance Series Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier
2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan.
Frequency response: 5-200 Hz
Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Tuned Bass EQ (0-18 dB bass boost at 40 Hz)
Input Sensitivity : 5(MIN) – 0.2(MAX)
swamanator 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Toyota Avalon 2001 XLS with JBL speakers.
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

first off, the gain controls on your amp, once set properly should not be adjusted further.

The gain is not a volumn contol knob, its is meant to match the input voltage of the amplifier to the output voltage of the head unit.

The x-overs on you mids and hi thru the radio should be set to HP(high-pass) and the frequency should be set close to the parameters of your door speakers usually around 100Hz-130Hz

The Sub-amp gain should be set to 4V. I, as an installer and shop owner, will intentionally set the gain higher, thereby reducing the output of the amp.  This allows the NEW subwoofers a chance to break-in. Then I have the customer return back to my shop in a few weeks so I can re-tune the system. I will not warranty any defective equipment if I discover the amplifier settings have been changed. The settings are set by the installer to protect the equipment. If changed could cause speakers to distort or to be overpowered beyond rating.

My advice, take it back to the shop and tell them what you dont like about the system. Whatever you are hearing or not hearing let them know and they can adjust to your liking. But , let them make the adjustments

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Set amp first, use amp inbetween 3/4 to full gain, bass boost to full 18db and set crossover LPF at 100hz, this will leave it open to adjust from the HU, (no reason to go back and forth from trunk to radio). Now that Excelon should do the rest, if installed right the subwoofer setting should be variable from the deck maybe something like 0-15, anyway from there in the settings you can change the LPF from pass-thru(to use amp crossover only) to selectible freq from 40hz-120hz, try tuning to your preference, all adjusts after the inital can be be at the HU w sub features available, you have a nice deck, this is just a basic set I do for every installation I do, Ive done it the same way the last three years and my friends laugh at me beecause I dont listen to the systems after installation, I just know its right, the fine tuning is your ear, hope this will help.  
Chadillac
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

Topinstaller200 is right with his statement as well, the installers will to a safe setting so to speak for break-in, but this isnt a bobo or entry system, this is nicer equipment and it yours, so adjust and have fun with it.

Chadillac
swamanator 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys...so i have had this setup for around a month or so and took the advice above to change around the settings. they have been sounding great but i just have one question:
my crossovers for my front, rear, and sub can be set right from my kenwood excelon headunit in the detailed setup setting....now about those settings is my question.
currently here are the settings i have ::
Front: Through
Rear: Through
Sub: FC: 180Hz , Slope: -12dB/Oct, Phase: Normal.
The FC can be set to 30HZ to 250HZ to Through
The Slope can be set from -6 to -24 dB/Oct.
Phase is just normal or reverse.
Are the subwoofer crossover settings right according to the info i gave on the first post?
i am not really sure what i should sest the FC or SLOPE to ...if someone could advice what they are and what to set them to that would be great.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic