icon

other brand speakers.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cvame 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Old school car audio fanatic here that is just getting back in to it after 15 years.  Ive been reading the awsome wealth of information here on this site to try to get somewhat back' up to speed on the new stuff. (Thanks to those that helped me).  But ive got a burning question.  Ive noticed on many posts here of people using, and swearing by, brands of speakers like "Anarchy", "Elemental Designs", "RE audio", "SMD", "Diablo" etc...other than the popular mainstream brands i.e.  Fosgate, JL, Kicker, Alpine, Infinity, Polk, Focal, MB etc...  Granted ive been out of touch for quite awhile, but when i look at a car audio mag i dont see these other brands advertised.  Ive seen a couple of web sites of these other brands and they are cheaper in price.  Which makes me wonder, are the old favorites just over priced names?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hi and welcome back to the game.  Yes, in some cases the mainstream brands are overpriced for what you get, and in many cases what was quality 15 years ago is no longer the same due to consolidation within the industry and "fast food" manufacturers buying up higher-end names when they get into financial difficulty.  Many of us promote the smaller or Internet-direct companies because you get much better bang for the buck.  That being said, there also is no substitute for some of the main stream brands, especially in the realm of head units and other front-end electronics.  The best thing to do is get out there and get your hands dirty again.  Check out what's become of some of your old favorites, and don't overlook the web as a source of new players. 
Support the12volt.com
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Once a audio guy always an audio guy, im big in the names thats been around like MTX, Alpine, And Kenwood, I think that Kicker and Memphis has offered the best name brand with competitive pricing as of late, also look at Epsilon Group, they make up the Power Acoustik, SPL, Kole, Farenheit, and Sound Stream audio, which is great equipment for the money, just becareful with your choices, the market has been flooded with a lot promise and China direct product, make sure your getting your audio from a company you can REALLY talk to/and sent for repair if necessary, let me know if Ican help.
Chadillac
cvame 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips guys. Ive always been a Fosgate fan, ever since i replaced my pyramid multi 6x9 system with Alpine and a Punch 45 back in the mid 80's... any advice on how to tell if a brand is worth a looks-see at the least?  They look good on paper, but never know.  Id like to try other "unground' brands but dont want to get burned.
glass22 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2010 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
image dynamics. great sounding equipment, great service.  mainstream i use memphis. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic